UnityPoint Health RN - Wound Ostomy Care Nurse in West Des Moines, Iowa
UnityPoint At Home
RN- Wound Ostomy Care Nurse
Full Time Benefits
As a member of the interdisciplinary team, RN – Wound Ostomy Continence Care Nurse applies specialized nursing knowledge to coordinate, direct and provide comprehensive quality patient care for an assigned patient population with enterostomal, wound, skin, and continence management. Collaborates with Wound Ostomy Continence Nurse Specialist, interdisciplinary team to provider evidence-based practice. Delivers patient care directed by the physician as established in the home health plan of care that is consistent with clinical best practices and results in high quality, improved outcomes and exceptional patient experience in a community setting. Maintains a practice environment that reflects the Wound, Ostomy and Continence Society’s standards of care, philosophy of nursing within the structure of the Professional Nurse Practice Model, and nursing philosophy of UnityPoint Health.
Patient Care/Care Coordination
• Collaborates with the Wound Ostomy Continence Nurse Specialist team on patient selection, assessment, plan, and recommendations
• Provides home visits to medically complex or high risk patients with wound, skin, ostomy, or continence related issues and who would benefit from a skilled nurse visit by a Wound Ostomy Continence Care Nurse
• Performs comprehensive wound ostomy continence nursing assessments and evaluation on all patients as a collaborative interdisciplinary team adhering to agency policies and procedures.
• Analyzes existing information in patient’s record, digital media, care plans, clinician conferences, consultations, procedures, history and physical, treatment orders and additional information as necessary.
• Provides high quality and safe delivery of services ordered by the physician and as indicated in the plan of care. Obtains physician orders prior to initiation of care and notifies the physician, nurse case manager and Wound Ostomy Continence Nurse Specialist team of changes in the patient’s condition.
• Provides patient and caregiver education using UPaH approved patient teaching materials as indicated in the plan of care, case manager, and/or physician:
o Treatment and disease management
o Wound, ostomy, continence care management and procedures
o Medications purpose, use, side effects, potential adverse effects
o Proper use, safety hazards, and infection control issues related to the use and maintenance of any equipment provided
o Patient plan of care
o Emergency preparedness
• Serves as a resource and clinical expert for the care team delivering wound, ostomy and continence management in accordance with nursing practice, operational standards, and National Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nursing standards.
• Maintain subject matter expertise to serve as a resource for staff providing direct care and case management services to wound, ostomy, and incontinent patients.
Quality of Care
• Participates in interdisciplinary team meetings, care conferences or patient visits to address specific patient needs and ensures coordinated and comprehensive care.
• Monitor patient’s wound ostomy continence progress through interdisciplinary care conferences, clinician feedback, report analysis, or software analysis.
• Utilizes evidence based practice and evaluates research pertinent to patient care to keep nursing practices current.
• Participates in the evaluation of clinical practice through involvement with quality performance improvement program related to area of expertise.
• Participate in multidisciplinary and cross continuum professional meetings related to wound ostomy continence population management.
• Delivers comprehensive and maintains accurate clinical documentation of care provided in accordance with home health conditions of participation (CoPs), various payer home health coverage criteria, accreditation standards, professional standards for discipline/credential and the home health plan of care.
• Uses appropriate infection control procedures and safety measure to protect employees and patients.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
· Graduate of State Board approved Registered Nursing program.
· Graduate from an accredited wound, ostomy, and/or continence education program.
· Valid Mandatory Reporter Adult and Child course completion by state(s) requirement.
· Professional continuing education multi-state licensure and national certification requirements.
· Maintains professional certification requirements.
· Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree
· Encouraged to attend professional programs, review professional publications, and to participate in professional organizations related to area of expertise.
· Minimum of 2 years’ Registered Nursing experience in providing care for wound, skin care, ostomy and/or continence needs.
· Home care experience 2+ years nursing experience.
· Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
· Current nursing license in the states of practice.
· CPR Certification as outlined per policy or obtain certification within three months of hire.
· Completion of Person Centered Care curriculum within first 12 months of hire and annual completion of competency validation activities.
· Wound Ostomy and/or Continence Certification by a nationally accredited certification board.
· Implementation of evidence based practice guidelines for wound, ostomy and continence care.
· Effective written and verbal communication for team collaboration and for educational programs.
· Interpersonal and relationship management for positive and effective interactions with interdisciplinary team, leadership, physicians and visitors.
· Critical thinking and problem-solving skills for clinical assessment, plan of care evaluation and recommendations of evidence-based practice.
· Technical aptitude for office products, electronic health record and virtual products.
· Effectively plans, organizes, sets priorities and completes works assignments with minimum direct supervision per agency policy and within established time frames.
· Adaptability for teamwork, education, interdisciplinary team support.
· Self-development through active participation of state and national professional organizations and wound ostomy continence education sessions.
· Leadership support for program operations related to analysis of program for quality and financial outcomes.
· Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
· Occasional travel to other UPH, UPC, UPaH facilities, or patient homes with use of company vehicle or own vehicle with approval.
· Maintains proof of auto-insurance.
Position is providing direct care in a community home health setting. Requires Bachelor's Degree in Nursing, and certification in Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nursing. Minimum of 2 years Registered Nursing Experience, preferably in home health. Required to have a valid driver's license, auto insurance, CPR certification and current Nursing license in the states of practice. Technical aptitude of office products, electronic health record and virtual products. Position requires occasional travel to other UnityPoint Health, UnityPoint Clinic, and UnityPoint at Home facilities, including patient homes.
Must be able to: Work under time constraints and prioritize daily workflow. Understand and deal effectively with problems, conflict, and apply critical thinking. Deal with people effectively, patiently and respond professionally in all situations. Work independently, virtually, and assume responsibility for timely completing of assignments. Effectively communicate with people of diverse, professional, educational and lifestyle backgrounds.
Requisition ID: 2020-84951
Street: 1776 West Lakes Pkwy
Name: 9400 UnityPoint at Home Affiliate
Name: Centralized Wound Care Ops
FLSA Status: Exempt
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org