UnityPoint Health Student Nurse Technician-Rehabilitation Inpatient in Waterloo, Iowa
Responsible for a variety of tasks and services to assist in the provision of care and comfort for patients under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse (RN). Reports and records observations and contribute to the efficient functionality of the department. Identifies patients' needs and implements nursing care for a group of patients under the supervision of a RN applying the skills learned in their initial nursing coursework.
Clinical Excellence/Patient Care
• Partners with the RN and other healthcare team members to achieve patient care outcomes and goals of care, as identified in the plan of care.
• Performs specific tasks as directed by the RN and other healthcare team members per competency education. Consults and seeks out guidance from RN and/or other healthcare team members, as appropriate and when completing new or unfamiliar tasks or duties.
• Obtains, records and/or accurately enters data into the EMR, as identified in the PCT Scope of Practice. Promptly completes documentation to assure an accurate legal record of patient’s care.
• Verbally presents factual, concise, and timely information and/or patient care data to the RN, the healthcare team, patients and/or family members in a professional manner.
• Telesitter (applies to Student Nurse Technicians who have requested to learn this skill and Resource Student Nurse Technicians): Demonstrates understanding and proficiency of the use of the telesitter software. Maintains visual observation at all times. Verbally redirects patient over digital 2-way audio device that is in patient room. Immediately summons the nursing staff if the patient requires assistance.
Quality of Care
• Hand-offs will be done with attention to detail and with safety as a high priority. Hand-offs are utilized to communicate patient treatment and assessment information, patient education needs, goals of care and other quality care measures at each change of caregiver or setting of care.
• Demonstrates knowledge that patient and workplace safety is a priority by preventing errors, accidents and infections and reporting potential or actual concerns immediately.
• Maintains responsibility and accountability for the knowledge of conditions of assigned patients.
Growth & Development
• Identifies the needs of patients by delivering high quality care, demonstrating the following clinical skills under the supervision of a RN. This includes: simple wound care, nasal gastric tube insertion, urinary indwelling and/or straight catheterization, trach care/suctioning and sterile glove technique.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
• Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
• Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
• Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
• Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, JCAHO, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
• Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
• Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Enrolled in a formal nursing program. Completion of introductory clinical nursing course with clinical component.
Internal applicants within UPH-Allen may remain in classification, pending RN license being successfully completed within six months of graduation.
Satisfactory performance as a nursing student in clinical area based on references from a formal nursing program.
Six months of nursing assistant experience preferred.
Requisition ID: 2020-81155
Street: 1825 Logan Ave
Name: 2520 UnityPoint Health Allen Hospital
Posting Minimum: USD $14.24/Hr.
Name: Gen Rehab Unit-Inpt- Logan
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): 0.15
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: 12 hrs/ 7p-7a
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org