UnityPoint Health RN Occupational Health in Sioux City, Iowa
Provide nursing assessment, care and referral to injured or ill workers/students. Be a resource to contracted companies/schools in complying with state and federal regulations towards a safe and healthy workplace/school. Provide services in a prevention framework of primary (promote health and prevent disease, secondary (early recognition) and tertiary (intervention and return to work) to the worker or student populations.
The primary function of the school nurse is to strengthen the educational process through improvement and maintenance of the health status of students by: assisting in the development of the personal well-being, academic success and life-long achievement and health of students; promotes healthy environment, intervenes with actual and potential health issues; provides case management services; serves as a liaison between school personnel, families, health care professionals and the community, linking school health to healthy communities; and assists school administration in school-wide health and safety planning and promotion.
· Provide medical care to injured/ill employees/employee populations, student/student populations within the Occupational Medicine Clinic and On-Site nurse locations.
· Conduct examination and/or testing such as: Post job offer exams, substance abuse testing, audiometric/pulmonary testing, blood screens and other surveillance as required by contracted employer.
· Manage day to day activities on On-Site nurse locations to include:
o Medical /nurse supply management.
o Provide immunizations (influenza vaccination, Hepatitis B, Tdap, TB screening, etc.).
o Program development and health consultations with the company.
o Collaborate with community and UnityPoint resources with company as appropriate.
o Maintain On-Site medical records in compliance with state and federal regulations.
o Support company compliance with state and federal regulations (i.e. OSHA, workers compensation, etc.).
· Facilitate and provide wellness activities at On-Site company such as:
o Employee health exams, blood pressure screening, wellness blood testing, biometric testing, health coaching and education programs (i.e. blood borne pathogen training, hearing conservation, pulmonary screening, etc.).
o Facilitate employee/student return to work/school and fitness for work duty related to work related or personal health issuers.
School Nurse Responsibilities:
· Provides direct professional nursing services: first aid, illness, and emergency care to students and staff in response to the nursing assessment and in accordance with professional standards, school policy and procedures, and state and local mandates.
· Administers medication with appropriate documentation.
· Participates in maintaining accurate medical records to assure compliance with state mandates including immunizations, physical examinations, and medical conditions.
· Conducts mandated screenings and referrals as determined by state policy.
· Makes appropriate assessment and referrals for suspected abuse/neglect as a mandatory reporter.
· Supervises school health clerks and serves as a resource for school state mandates.
· Coordinates health/hearing screenings and follow-up referrals.
· Serves as a health consultant and resource person for health education.
· Provides health promotion and health education as needed.
· Works cooperatively with health department to monitor communicable disease status in the school district and respond to crisis situations if needed.
· Provide Blood borne Pathogen training, Attack on Asthma training and medication training to staff members designated by the principle or administration.
· Attend IEP, MDT and SAT meetings as requested.
· Attend school registration/open house and staff/student conferences as needed.
· Maintains communication with teachers, other school personnel, and parents/guardians to meet the health and safety needs of students.
· Provides health services and health information in an effective and positive manner to enhance the health and wellness of the school community.
· Completes accident/incident reports for students/staff.
· Compiles data for statistical purposes.
· Maintains confidentiality regarding all school and health related issues.
· Maintains a daily log of student/staff visits and documentation on individual health records.
· Maintains accurate health records.
· Follows HIPPA and FERPA requirements.
· Maintains the daily environment of the health office facility and supplies.
· Utilizes existing technology effectively in the performance of duties.
· Performs other health or school related work as required.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Registered Nurse, BSN preferred
On-Site Position: 2 years nursing experience, preferred
School nurse Position: 3-5 years minimum experience in any one or combination of the following:
pediatric nursing, emergency care nursing, public health, mental health nursing, school
nursing or 2 years occupational health nursing
Current nursing license in compact state, BLS certified within 30 days of hire.
Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
School Nurse Citification desirable
Experience in occupational health, school nursing desirable.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Requisition ID: 2021-93289
Street: 2421 Riverside Blvd
Name: 7520 UnityPoint Heath SC St Lukes
Name: On Site Occupational Serv- SLC
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): 0.01
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: PRN/varies thoughout the year
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org