Trinity Health Registered Nurse PRN Temporary in Sioux City, Iowa
Under limited supervision, provides nursing care to assigned patients by utilizing the nursing process and meeting the established standards within the nursing department. The registered nurse is accountable for his/her nursing practice and assigned patients, and is an advocate for patient/families and nursing. Adheres to the principles of Service Excellence Guiding Behaviors and the philosophy and mission of Mercy in all aspects of job performance.
*ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONAL COMPETENCIES:*
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide service/care appropriate to the age of the patients served, in accordance with Mercy standards.
- Prioritizes components of an in-depth assessment to determine patients’ holistic health status on an ongoing basis.
- Utilizing the nursing process, identifies actual and potential problems and develops and implements the plan of care for the patient specific to the age of the patient population identified within the department/unit scope of service in accordance with the department/unit standards.
- Initiates and revises the plan of care on an ongoing basis. Initiates IPOC within 4 hours of admission.
- Provides concurrent, accurate, and legible documentation on the medical record consistent with hospital policies.
- Implements nursing intervention and adapts care based on changes in patient condition, consultation with other professionals, and patient/family needs.
- Identifies actual and potential risks and initiates appropriate action to minimize or prevent situations and evaluates the outcome.
- Administers medications and treatments as directed and appropriate for patients, in collaboration with the multidisciplinary team.
- Utilizes and documents internal and community resources in planning care and initiating referrals.
- Writes, processes and notes physician’s orders in a timely fashion.
- Identifies, initiates, and documents appropriate ongoing patient/family education to achieve outcomes based on learning and discharge needs.
- Promotes and maintains a safe environment for patients by ensuring appropriate supplies, equipment, and necessary services.
- Enhances teamwork by utilizing effective communication and delegation principles and techniques.
- Demonstrates ability to assume a leadership role in routine and emergent situations.
- Serves as an advocate for patients and families.
- Maintains ongoing competent skills/performance level and documentation of qualifications to meet unit(s) specific standards.
- Maintains the skill level requirement for a Registered Nurse as evidenced by competent performance and completion of the skills checklist.
- Contributes to the learning experience of students and staff by mentoring, preceptoring, or serving as a resource person.
- Exhibits professional behavior by sharing information gained from continuing education and professional organizations.
- Ensures that supplies, equipment, and services provided are accurately documented and charged.
- Identifies problems on unit; collaborates with peers and supervisor to develop and initiate an action plan and evaluate outcomes.
- Participates in intradepartmental meetings, committees, conferences, and in-services on the unit and/or as provided. Takes accountability to attend mandatory meetings.
- Demonstrates accountability by actively participating in unit Performance Improvement activities. Participates on performance improvement events as identified.
- Recognizes lawful/ethical limitations to his/her role in the nursing process. Practices within licensure of Iowa Nursing Board.
- Demonstrates proficiency using the order communication system and other computer technology as appropriate to unit specific needs.
- Demonstrates competency in acquisition of lab specimens.
- Enters on-line charges for patient-care services; may also be assigned accountability for revenue reconciliation and for charge-error correction as specified by departmental process supporting hospital Revenue Policy.
- Participates in bedside report/handoff at change of shift and patient transfers.
- Participates in nursing hourly rounding following established standards.
- Is knowledgeable of and actively participates in improving patient safety and reducing risk to patients. Complies with Safety and Infection Control Policy & Procedure.
- Knows, understands, incorporates, and demonstrates the Mercy and Trinity Health Mission, Vision, and Values in behaviors, practices, and decisions.
- Maintains a working knowledge of applicable Federal, State, and local laws and regulations, Mercy and Trinity Health’s Organizational Integrity Program, Standards of Conduct, as well as other policies and procedures in order to ensure adherence in a manner that reflects honest, ethical, and professional behavior.
- Maintains confidentiality of information pertaining to clients, physicians, employees, and Mercy business.
- Demonstrates general working knowledge of computers and department specific software (i.e. Healthstream, internet, etc.)
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Is a registered nurse maintaining current licensure defined by Interstate Compact. A senior level nursing student of accredited nursing program may apply. All registered nurses hired after January 1, 2014, are required to obtain a BSN degree within 4 years of hire.
- A senior level nursing student may be awarded an RN Bargaining Unit position and may begin employment in the capacity of a Nurse Graduate, following successful graduation from an accredited ADN and/or BSN program until a valid RN license is obtained.
- Basic Life Support Certification (BCLS) is required.
- Is able to communicate effectively with all members of the health care team.
- Maintains a high level of professionalism, which positively promotes the image of Mercy Medical Center.
- Actively participates and represents Mercy Medical Center in professional and community organizations.
- Must have a general working knowledge of computers and department specific software (i.e. Healthstream, internet, etc.)
- Must be comfortable operating in a collaborative, shared leadership environment.
- Must possess a personal presence that is characterized by a sense of honesty, integrity, and caring with the ability to inspire and motivate others to promote the philosophy, mission, vision, goals, and values of Mercy and Trinity Health.
Job Number: 00200996
Location: Sioux City, IA
Organization Name: MercyOne - Sioux City
Facility: MMCIA - MMC South Building
Employment Type: Part time