Danaher Corporation Research & Development Engineer in Iowa
Danaher Company Description
Integrated DNA Technologies, Inc. (IDT) develops, manufactures, and markets nucleic acid products for the life sciences industry in the areas of academic research, biotechnology, agriculture, medical diagnostics, and pharmaceutical development. The company's primary business is the production of custom oligonucleotides for molecular biology applications. IDT has developed proprietary technologies for genomics applications such as next generation sequencing, CRISPR genome editing, qPCR, and RNA interference. Through its GMP services, IDT manufactures products used in diagnostic tests for many forms of cancer and most inherited infectious diseases. Serving over 100,000 life sciences researchers and producing over 65,000 nucleic acids daily, IDT is widely recognized as the industry leader in custom nucleic acid manufacture. The company serves its customers through direct sales in many countries and a network of international distributors. IDT's corporate headquarters is in Skokie, Illinois, USA. Its manufacturing headquarters is in Coralville, Iowa, USA, with additional manufacturing facilities in San Diego, California, USA; Leuven, Belgium; and Singapore.
The Research and Development Engineer performs applications research to support the development of next generation high throughput synthetic biology and genomics production equipment. This position will be responsible for identifying and developing critical technologies for application in synthetic biology manufacturing platforms and processes. This role will work alongside Equipment Engineers, Process Engineers and Production Scientist to focus and accelerate the development of next generation synthetic biology manufacturing platforms. This role will be responsible for the evaluation of new components, hardware, laboratory platforms and process chemistries, fundamental characterization, process development, and the generation of intellectual property relevant to the company.
- Develops and emerges technology for application in high throughput manufacturing of synthetic biology products.
- Identifies disruptive biotechnology processes early on and works with manufacturing and R&D to identify a viable path forward.
- Prioritizes within the Platform Development team on the key technology issues that need development breakthroughs.
- Reviews and analyzes current relevant research in synthetic biology processes, materials, components for application in primary and secondary manufacturing platforms that reduce manufacturing time and costs and improve quality.
- Manages assigned development projects from conception through production and maintenance phases. Promotes effective communication between team members and product customers.
- Mentors fellow engineers in good applied experimental practices.
- Develops detailed development plans and performance targets and verifies development prototypes meet these requirements.
- Leads team or sites or suppliers on complex, multi-disciplinary projects in quality focused meetings, process and yield improvement meetings, cost and productivity improvement meetings.
- Writes accurate proposals, budgets, test plans, schedules and ongoing status reports for assigned projects.
- Conducts and participates in periodic project reviews to report project progress and technical developments. Identifies and mitigates technical risks.
- Uses analysis simulation tools and CAD tools to design and develop experimental products.
- Demonstrates behavior consistent with the Integrated DNA Technologies Core Values.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or similar field required.
- Minimum of five or more years hands-on experience in applied research and development required; specific experience in developing automated processes and equipment for the biosciences industry preferred.
- Ten or more years applied technical development experience and a proven track record of successful project completion preferred
- Formal and/or applied training and work experience in deployment of new product development and release to production preferred
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications; MS word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio required
- Programming skills (C , Python, or other engineering languages) preferred
- Proficient with CAD software and other modern engineering design and analysis applications required
Other Job Qualifications
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required to effectively communicate complex ideas to various organizational audiences with an appropriate level of detail to achieve the desired results.
- Highly organized with the ability to work on multiple projects concurrently.
- Highly motivated, goal oriented and possess the ability to aggressively focus on solving problems both as part of a team and individually.
- Excellent skills on design of experiments (DoE), data analysis systems (e.g. JMP) and ability to analyze, conclude and communicate the recommendations in clear and crisp manner.
- Ability to interact in a professional manner with suppliers, customers, employees, and all levels of management.
- Ability to be flexible in accommodating changing priorities and working hours to support business needs.
- Adaptability to performing a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another without loss of efficiency or composure.
- Ability to maintain both a high standard of courtesy and cooperation in dealing with co-workers.
- Adaptability to accepting responsibility for the direction, control or planning of an activity.
- Adaptability to situations requiring the precise attainment of set limits, tolerances or standards.
- Exert 20-50 lbs. of force occasionally and/or 10-15 lbs. of force frequently
- Constant (67%-100% of work day)
- Talking: expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken work- those activities in which they must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly, or quickly.
- Frequent (34-66% of work day)
- Reaching: extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction.
- Sitting: to assume a position in which the weight is largely supported by the buttocks, usually with the body vertical and the thighs horizontal.
- Standing: maintaining an upright position.
- Occasional (33% or less of work day)
- Walking: moving about on foot to accomplish tasks.
- Lifting: raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally from position to position.
- Using Fingers/Grasping/Feeling: writing or otherwise working, primarily with fingers rather than with the whole hand or arm as in handling. Applying pressure to an object with the fingers or palm and perceiving attributes of objects such as size, shape, temperature or texture by touch.
- Hearing: perceiving the nature of sounds at normal range; ability to receive detailed information through oral communication, and to make fine discriminations in sound, such as when auscultating and percussing.
- Repetitive Motion: substantial movements (motion) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers.
- Bending: bending body downward and forward by bending spine at the waist and/or bending leg; bending legs at knee to come to rest or kneel.
- Pushing/Pulling: using upper extremities to press against something with steady force in order to thrust forward, downward or outward/using upper extremities to exert force in order to drag, haul or tug objects in a sustained motion.
- Climbing: stairs, stools, ramps, ladders.
- Work requires close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to read pertinent printed material and distinguish colors.
- Ability to accurately read measurements on equipment.
- Ability to prepare and read written documentation; use of computer.
Danaher Corporation Overview
Danaher is a global science & technology innovator committed to helping our customers solve complex challenges and improve quality of life worldwide. Our world class brands are leaders in some of the most demanding and attractive industries, including life sciences, medical diagnostics, dental, environmental and applied solutions. Our globally diverse team of 67,000 associates is united by a common culture and operating system, the Danaher Business System, which serves as our competitive advantage. We generated $18.3B in revenue last year. We are ranked #162 on the Fortune 500 and our stock has outperformed the S&P 500 by more than 1,200% over 20 years.
At Danaher, you can build a career in a way no other company can duplicate. Our brands allow us to offer dynamic careers across multiple industries. We’re innovative, fast-paced, results-oriented, and we win. We need talented people to keep winning. Here you’ll learn how DBS is used to shape strategy, focus execution, align our people, and create value for customers and shareholders. Come join our winning team.
Organization: Beckman Coulter - Life Sciences
Job Function: Science
Primary Location: North America-North America-United States-Iowa
Req ID: BEC012118