Pipestone System Registered Veterinary Technician in Independence, Iowa
Objective:*The Veterinary Technician*will assist in veterinary procedures, animal handling, and miscellaneous roles to the clinic and health care team.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Make recommendations to management and current staff concerning patient care protocols, equipment needs and upkeep,appointment efficiencies, patient care, and follow through with protocols.
- Work with the Practice Manager to develop and implement standard operating procedures to ensure high quality care for our patients.
- Prepare and administer medications, vaccines, serums, and treatments, as prescribed by the veterinarian.
- Work well with all team members and ensure that your actions support the hospital, the doctors, and Pipestone core values.
- Administer anesthesia to animals, under the direction of the veterinarian, and monitor animals' responses to anesthetics.
- Obtain radiographs of animals with knowledge of proper positioning and techniques.
- Care for and monitor the condition of animals recovering from surgery or hospitalized patients.
- Perform laboratory tests on blood, urine, and feces, such as urinalyses and blood counts, to assist in the diagnosis and treatment of animal health problems.
- Administer emergency first aid, such as performing emergency resuscitation or other lifesaving procedures.
- Provide the veterinarian with the correct equipment and instruments, as needed.
- Prepare animals for surgery, performing such tasks as shaving surgical areas and placing IV catheters.
- Communicate & educate clients on hospital's preventative medicine protocols, make recommendations based on patient's best interest, and effectively communicate messages from the veterinarian to the client.
- Ability to communicate well.
- Ability to provide strong leadership.
- Encourage positive culture with clients and employees in a manner that shows sensitivity, tact and professionalism.
- Strong client service skills. Considerable tact and diplomacy is required. Ability to greet clients in a professional, friendly, hospitable manner.
- Ability to effectively use all available resources to provide the best patient care.
- Regular attendance and timeliness are essential.
Education:Completion of Veterinary Technician course.
RVT license required or ability to provide proof of knowledge and experience.
Experience:Veterinary hospital/clinic previous experience preferred. New graduates considered.
Training: Various internal training courses
Occasional seminars at remote locations
- Must be able to work on a weekend rotation as needed
- Must have valid drivers license and reliable transportation to get to work and attend meetings
- Veterinary hospital clinic and office environment.
- Noise levels that require hearing protection in some areas
- Standing, walking and ability to be on feet 8 to 10 hours per day
- Frequent bending, reaching, squatting and kneeling
- Frequent use of one or both hands/arms to grasp or pull
- Frequent lifting of objects weighing 3-20 pounds
- Occasional bending while pulling and/or lifting objects weighing up to 50 pounds, or requiring up to 50 pounds of force to move
- Occasional bending while pulling and/or lifting objects weighing up to 100 pounds or requiring up to 100 pounds of force to move with the assistance of another person as needed
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Ability to attend and participate in meetings of various lengths
ALL ADDRESSES: Independence, IA
Job Title: Registered Veterinary Technician
Location: PVC of Independence-10201
Req Num: 20-310