UnityPoint Health RN Care Coordinator-Acute Care in Fort Dodge, Iowa
UnityPoint Health-Fort Dodge, IA
Care Coordinator-Acute Care
Monday-Friday varying shifts 8a-430p (20 hours a week)
Part Time Benefits
The Care Coordinator integrates and coordinates the clinical care of individuals. Facilitates the interdisciplinary plan of care in order to meet multiple service needs, promotes continuity through elimination of fragmentation of care/service and facilitates the effective utilization of resources. Serves as educator and a central source of communication for the individual and their support systems.
Interdisciplinary Team Leader
· Coordinates the plan for the stay and the plan of care with patients, family and interdisciplinary team.
· Ensures effective communication through the continuum to support ongoing progress toward identified outcomes
· Leads and participates with the interdisciplinary team in daily rounds, planning delivery and evaluation of patient-focused care.
· Ensures effective communication and flow of information to all appropriate care providers.
· Identifies patients with potential palliative care needs and makes appropriate referral
Patient care & advocacy
· Patient rounding - rounds on each patient daily.
· Physician rounding – prioritizes and rounds with physicians daily to promote communication and effective discharge planning.
· Assists in obtaining baseline information utilized for the development of individualized patient plan of care.
· Provides direct and indirect patient and family care as needed to develop plan of care.
· Assesses patient’s response to treatment and care through other care provider information or by examining patient directly
· Provides or oversees the education of the patient and family to understand illness and self care concepts
· Supports patient’s right to make decisions about care and treatment.
· Develops a partnership with care providers and patient and patient’s family.
· Ensures that patient goals are set with patient.
Plan of Care
· Monitors patient’s progress against plan of care until discharge from designated patient care area.
· Ensures the plan of care is accessible to the patient and family to assist them in understanding goals of care and movement toward these goals.
· Performs or oversees the development and implementation of a plan of care.
· Ensures the effective education of the patient and patient’s family to prepare for discharge, helps to facilitate patient discharges
· Implements strategies to reduce resource consumption and length of stay for assigned patients e.g. appropriate use of telemetry, diagnostic testing for outpatient arena, such as treatments and infusions.
· Identifies resources needed for optimal patient care, substantiates the need for resources.
· Communicates changes in plan of care to the patient/family and the health care team members in a timely manner.
· Involved and educates interdisciplinary team, patient/family on plan of care.
· Collects data on patient outcomes on the unit e.g. patient satisfaction, pressure ulcers, medication errors, falls, core measures, critical test results, etc.
· Develops and utilizes tools to effectively evaluate, summarize and communicate patient’s progress toward outcomes to members of the healthcare team and patient and family.
· Seeks opportunities to make improvements to reduce risk.
· Is involved in safety initiatives at the department and interdepartmental levels to improve care outcomes.
· Perform interview to begin A3 on readmissions and coordinate with performance improvement.
· Assure patient has Advance Directive (AD) and is clearly documented and communicated via the Durable Power of Attorney (DPOA), living will, IPOST as advanced directive. If ADs are absent facilitates completion of appropriate forms.
· Works with team members, other leaders and physicians to develop and trend performance improvement indicators based on national standards and best practices.
· Leads and educates staff to ensure best practices are followed in relationship to adherence to care measures.
· Responsible for the safe discharge planning/transition to next level of care and communication of plan to patient/family, physician, team members and next level of care.
· Makes direct referrals to home care, next level of care, e.g. nursing facility in collaboration with social worker, palliative and hospice care as appropriate.
· Provides input to nursing leadership on the evaluation and competency of nursing staff.
· Provides formal and informal educational opportunities on the unit Acts as role model and demonstrates expertise in conflict resolution and negotiation.
· Acts as a role model and demonstrates Standards of Behavior
· Reviews compliance with regulatory agencies related to patient safety including Det Norske Veritas (DNV), Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and others.
· Delegates aspects of care to qualified personnel.
· Acts as consultant to clinical staff in assisting or finding resources when unfamiliar procedures/treatments present.
· On a daily basis delegates, supervises and evaluates the nursing care given by others while retaining accountability for the quality of care given to the patients.
· Serves as a professional role model/mentor and change agent to develop and assist others.
· Participates in real time problem solving utilizing the A3 tool; collects the current state and engages nursing staff in the process
· Provides precise communication to other team members.
· Maintains clinical competence in the care of a designated patient population.
· Disseminates & implements latest evidence based practices.
· Certified Medical-Surgical Registered Nurse (CMSRN), Progressive Certified Nursing (PCCN) or Care Coordination and Transition Management Certification (CCCTM) preferred.
Bachelor of Arts/Science degree in health care related field or BSN preferred.
Two years of clinical experience in focused areas working with multidisciplinary teams.
Current RN or Discipline-Specific Licensure in state of residence.
Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English.
Basic computer knowledge using word processing, spreadsheet, email and web browser.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Requisition ID: 2021-89534
Street: 802 Kenyon Rd
Name: 7020 UnityPoint Health Trinity Regional Medical Ctr
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): .50
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: Monday-Friday varying shifts 8a-430p (20 hours a week)
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org