UnityPoint Health Outpatient Pharmacy Technician in Fort Dodge, Iowa
UnityPoint Health-Fort Dodge
Outpatient Pharmacy Technician
1.0 FTE (Full-time, 40 hours a week)
Full Time Benefits
% of Time
· Responsible for pharmacy technician operational functions including:
o Creates and maintains patient profiles within the pharmacy system
o Performs accurate data entry
o Ensures appropriate and adequate medication inventory of controlled and non-controlled medications
o Prepares medication orders by counting, measuring, compounding, and reconstituting drug product.
o Ensures proper medication handling and storage
o Prioritizes tasks to increase department efficiency
o Answers the telephone and directs calls to appropriate personnel in a professional and courteous manner.
o Adheres to policies and procedures
· Interacts with patients and their caregivers to determine their intentions for prescription fulfillment upon discharge. Works with patients and caregivers to minimize transition of care problems, delays, and errors with prescription fulfillment.
· Operates a cash register to collect payment for prescription and non-prescription products. Performs third-party billing and resolves insurance rejections.
· Maintains compliance with internal and external regulatory standards, including state of Iowa and federal regulations such as HIPPA, DNV, and OSHA.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of retail pharmacy compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of the Pharmacy Manager. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
· High school graduate or equivalent
· Must be able to proficiently read, write and speak English.
Some college education
· Ability to work with computer systems.
At least one year in a community pharmacy setting
· Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
· Registration as a pharmacy technician with the Iowa Board of Pharmacy within 30 days of employment.
Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT) must be obtained by examination within 12 months of hire.
Certification with the Pharmacy technician certification board (PTCB) upon hire.
· Must demonstrate knowledge and skills required for area of assignment.
· Must exercise good judgement and maintain good interpersonal skills.
· Must be able to solve problems, think creatively, communicate effectively, and manage changing circumstances.
· Must have the ability to delegate effectively.
· Must demonstrate a high level of integrity.
· Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Requisition ID: 2021-92046
Street: 802 Kenyon Rd
Name: 7020 UnityPoint Health Trinity Regional Medical Ctr
Name: Retail Pharmacy
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: Monday-Friday 8a-5:30p
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org