UnityPoint Health Lab Support Technician in Fort Dodge, Iowa
UnityPoint Health- Fort Dodge
Lab Support Tech
FTE: 1.0 (Full Time Benefits, 40 hours a week)
NO CERTIFICATION OR EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
· Registers, orders and accessions specimens utilizing the laboratory and hospital information systems by entering and/or verifying patient information. Matches requested tests to Laboratory-offered tests. Follows all UnityPoint Health – Des Moines policies regarding Medicare and Coding compliance. Prioritizes specimens and relays special requests, and all additional information.
· Collects and processes specimens by performing phlebotomy collection, labeling, centrifuging, organizing by Laboratory section(s), aliquoting, and storing. Prepares specimens for transport according to Department of Transportation (DOT) and International Air Transport Association (IATA) regulations.
· Assesses specimen acceptability for specimen type, volume, time past collection, duplication, and appropriate collection guidelines; and appropriately cancels accessions due to misordering, unacceptable specimens, uncollected work, or by request of other healthcare employees.
· Provides information concerning specimen collection, patient results, interface ordering, normal values, Laboratory operation, and phlebotomy; and monitors interface orders to ensure specimen collection.
· Instructs, trains, and evaluates students and new employees.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, CAP, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
High school graduate or equivalent.
Training as a unit clerk, medical assistant, medical secretary, or phlebotomist is preferred. Coursework in biology and/or chemistry is considered.
No experience is required.
Previous employment in a medical setting, in computer operations, and/or with telephone demands is preferred.
Must be able to read, write, and speak fluent English.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Requisition ID: 2021-90930
Street: 802 Kenyon Rd
Name: 7020 UnityPoint Health Trinity Regional Medical Ctr
Name: General Laboratory
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: Various Shifts
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org