UnityPoint Health Clinical Preceptor-Fort Dodge, IA in Fort Dodge, Iowa
UnityPoint At Home-Fort Dodge
Full Time Benefits
The Clinical Preceptor assists in the delivery of clinical orientation, validation of clinical competency for new and current employees, and provides student observation clinical experiences. The Clinical Preceptor is able to apply best practices, adult learning principles, coaching and mentoring skills in order to foster the growth and learning of employees. Clinical Preceptors also provide direct patient care and case management for a diverse community-based caseload.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
Employee Orientation and Development
· Facilitates coordinated transitions from orientation program to independence within targeted goal.
· Tracks required orientation progress and provides progress to the Ambulatory Clinical Educator.
· Conducts new employee competency assessment and validates competencies throughout the orientation period.
· Validates the ongoing competencies of current clinical staff as directed by the Ambulatory Clinical Educator.
· Reviews skills with new employees to determine level of understanding and re-educates as necessary.
· Provides patient centered care and coordination of care for a patient population with diverse community-based healthcare needs to include:
o Develops comprehensive and patient-centered plan of care
o Uses clinical evidence-based protocols and technology as identified by standard scope of practice and disease processes
o Provides disease specific education and self- management strategies for patients to achieve an optimal patient independence
o Follows physician ordered plan of care and facilitates changes to the plan of care as needed to achieve desired patient outcomes
o Identifies risk for acute hospitalization and proactively prevents adverse events
o Coordinates care across the continuum as a patient advocate
o Provides supervision and care plan development for service line specific disciplines.
· Demonstrates competency and proficiency in case management for provision of care, clinical expertise, documentation, utilization effectiveness, patient experience and quality outcomes.
· Completes all documentation accurately and submits to office within 24 hours of visit, phone call and/or change in treatment or orders.
· Participates in interdisciplinary team meetings and case conferencing to ensure patient quality care, patient advocacy, utilization and outcomes
Subject Matter Expertise
· Makes recommendations related to training and skills development to clinical education team.
· Provides comprehensive and constructive feedback for employees.
· Consistently demonstrates strong organizational skills, ability to prioritize responsibilities, and appropriately delegates assigned tasks.
· Compliance with regulatory governance, organization policies and procedures.
· Expert in service line rules and regulations
· Reviews documentation to ensure compliance with state regulations, conditions of participation and payer requirements.
· Super-user of electronic health record.
· Responsible for OASIS and/or HIS review and accuracy.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Graduate of State Board approved program for Registered Nurses
Minimum of 2 years of home health or hospice case management
Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
Current license to practice nursing according to state where service is provided.
COS-C certification must be obtained within 12 months of hire. (Home care only).
Valid Mandatory Reporter course completion by state requirement.
Person Centered Care (PCC) course completion within first 12 months of hire and annual completion of competency validation activities.
· Strong interpersonal skills.
· Ability to work as a team member.
· Strong computer skills.
· Ability to understand and apply guidelines, policies and procedures.
· Strong organizational and time management skills.
· Ability to critically think and make clinical decisions based on verbal and written communication.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Requisition ID: 2020-80585
Street: 802 Kenyon Rd
Name: 9400 UnityPoint at Home Affiliate
Name: Admin- HC- FD
FLSA Status: Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: Monday-Friday 800a-430p
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org