Catholic Health Initiatives RN-Registered Nurse - PICC Infusion-Medical Imaging FT.9 (Days) in DES MOINES, Iowa
RN-Registered Nurse - PICC Infusion-Medical Imaging FT.9 (Days)
GENERAL SUMMARY :
Nursing leadership position, which assumes responsibility as infusion clinical resource to primarily acute care areas, but may also include all staff within the Mercy system. Will assess vascular access needs of those clients referred. Insert peripherally inserted central catheters and midline catheters as appropriate and ordered.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS :
Functions as expert nurse in various vascular-access device skills.
Functions in clinical areas as needed, providing services to clients, which may include neonates, pediatrics, adolescents, adults, and geriatrics. Competencies will be demonstrated in each age-specific area prior to assignment and delivery of care to that population.
Maintains knowledge of equipment set-up, maintenance and use related to infusion therapy.
Observes practices associated with insertion, care, and maintenance of central venous catheters and peripheral venous catheters.
Collects and analyzes outcome data related to bloodstream infections.
Provides status reports to nursing staff, medical staff, and the Infection Control Committee.
Maintains confidentiality regarding all patient/personnel/program information.
Inserts Peripherally inserted central catheters maintaining appropriate technique.
Inserts midline catheters maintaining appropriate technique.
Participates in off-hours coverage of patient care. This includes call rotation, evening, weekend, and holiday coverage.
Educate house staff and nursing staff on the clinical practice guideline regarding central venous catheter insertion and maintenance.
Assists in coordination of skills and competencies related to infusion therapy.
Functions as an infusion therapy resource throughout the hospital.
Demonstrates expertise in the use of infusion therapy techniques, supplies and equipment.
Serves as a mentor/preceptor for new RNs orienting to infusion therapy skills.
Assists in developing and implementing policies and procedures related to infusion services.
Provides patient, family and caregiver instruction and counseling in recognition of physical, emotional and environmental health problems.
Works independently with limited direct supervision using the guidelines of the Nurse Practice Act, Corporate Policy, department policy and professional judgment.
Participates in Performance Improvement activities.
Participates actively in intra-departmental and inter-departmental organizational and educational meetings.
- Works independently but collaboratively with nursing departments to provide excellence in nursing care associated with infusion therapy
Assists in evaluation and implementation of products associated with infusion therapy
Accumulates and evaluates outcomes associated with infusion therapy.
Coordinates and is knowledgeable of documentation requirements needed for patient records.
Coordinates effective communication of ideas and facts to patients, caregivers, and other individuals within and beyond the scope of the infusion specialty.
- Continuing education is essential to sustain and advance infusion nursing
- The infusion nurse is an essential consultant to the healthcare profession, patient and/or caregiver. The principle concerns of this are patient advocacy and delivery of safe, competent, and quality infusion nursing care.
- Identifies need for and participates in research projects relevant to infusion therapy.
- Demonstrates exceptional interpersonal skills.
Demonstrates exceptional communication skills, assertiveness and knowledge of conflict resolution.
Articulates and able to speak and write clearly related to infusion therapy
- Builds working relationships with nurses in the promotion of excellent infusion therapy care.
- Assumes responsibility for knowledge of and adherence to approved structure standards/policies and process standards.
- Participates in quality management activities, as requested.
- Maintains confidentiality of patient, personnel and institutional information.
- Demonstrates awareness and adherence to safety and legal requirements established at the hospital and department levels.
- Performs efficiently in emergency situations, following established standards.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED :
Current Iowa registered nurse license.
Minimum of three years clinical experience as a Registered Nurse and demonstrated competence with infusion therapy.
Certified Registered Nurse in Infusion (CRNI) preferred.
Demonstrated teaching ability and organizational skills.
Basic Life Support (BLS) for the Healthcare Provider certified or obtained within six (6) weeks of hire.
Proof of completion of Mandatory Reporter abuse training specific to population served within three (3) months of hire.
Primary Location IOWA-DES MOINES-MERCY MEDICAL CENTER
Daily Schedule Days
Scheduled Hours per 2-week Pay Period 72
Weekends Required Every Fourth
Req ID: 2018-R0166297
We’re an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.