UnityPoint Health RN-Midwife Services-Methodist in Des Moines, Iowa
Choose a career that matters with UnityPoint Health Des Moines! UnityPoint Health - Des Moines is a family of four hospitals including Iowa Methodist Medical Center, Iowa Lutheran Hospital, Blank Children's Hospital and Methodist West Hospital. Our team members are the compassionate core of who we are and how we serve our patients and visitors every day.
Performs a variety of clinical duties; responsible for assisting the physician with direct and indirect patient care in women’s services clinic, including OB, annual gynecological and preventative medicine exams. Prepares the patient for examination, treatment, diagnostic and laboratory duties, patient education and minor surgical procedures. Perform other tasks as required, both administrative and clinical.
· Answers questions and provides teaching as appropriate to scope and licensure or as directed by provider to patients and family members regarding health maintenance and medical illnesses
· Documents appropriate information in the patient’s electronic chart. Complete patient forms and requests medical records/correspondence to be scanned into the electronic health record.
· Schedule referrals for patients with specialist or outpatient as requested by the provider. Complete appropriate forms or requisitions needed for referrals or lab testing
· Assist provider with patient examination, procedures and emergencies
· Provide and document advice for home care of illness/condition conducting follow up phone calls regarding patient’s health and progress as directed by provider.
· Perform diagnostic tests and laboratory procedures
· Prepare and assist provider with patient examination, specimen collection, minor surgical procedures and treatment of the patients, including administration of medication under direct supervision of the provider as appropriate to scope and licensure
· Demonstrate knowledge that patient and workplace safety is a priority by preventing errors, accidents and infections and reporting potential or actual concerns immediately
· Thoroughly understand testing (lab and procedures) values and relationship to patient status with accountability to take next steps as directed, and as appropriate to scope and licensure.
· Demonstrates initiative to improve quality and customer service by striving to exceed customer expectations.
· Demonstrates the ability to meet the department work schedule.
· Understand inpatient and outpatient specialty procedures. Responsible for compliance with precertification requirements.
· Seeks direction from provider regarding illness related calls
· Maintain inventory for clinical supplies.
· Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Continues professional development and involvement in professional activities that enhance nursing practice by sharing knowledge through networking and research.
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, JCAHO, DNV, OSHA, CMS and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the designated time frame.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
· This position may be assigned a specific mission to address in an emergency situation to assist in disaster response and recovery as part of the UPHDM Hospital Emergency Incident Command System. Situations of a critical nature may require an individual to perform multiple tasks until additional support can be obtained.
· Demonstrates initiative to improve quality and customer service by striving to exceed expectations.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Graduate of an accredited RN nursing program
Certification applicable to specialty area, i.e. Certified Diabetes Educator, APHON, PALS must be obtained within first year of hire.
Specialty certification preferred
Previous clinical experience in ambulatory setting.
A state of Iowa nursing license, nationally accepted medical assistant certification required. Licenses & Certifications must be maintained.
Must possess and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification or obtain certification within three (3) months from date of hire.
Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English.
Microsoft Office – basic computer skills.
Critical thinking skills using independent judgment in making decisions.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Requisition ID: 2018-50238
Street: 3714 Ingersoll Avenue
Name: 3020 UnityPoint Health Des Moines
Name: Midwife Services- Meth
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): 0.8
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: Days (7:30am-5:30pm, variable M-F)
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org