UnityPoint Health RN Acute-Inpatient Adult Mental Health-Lutheran in Des Moines, Iowa
As a member of the interdisciplinary team, contributes professional nursing knowledge and skills in the provision and management of care to adult mental health patients and their families. Maintains a practice environment that reflects the ANA Code for Nurses, Philosophy of Nursing at UnityPoint Health with in the structure of the Professional Nurse Practice Model and in collaboration with other care givers. Maintains a safe, therapeutic milieu and utilizes therapeutic communication skills that facilitate patient and family recovery from mental health crises. .
• Assesses the needs of patients and families, providing appropriate teaching and making the necessary referrals to provide continuity of care.
• Develops an individual plan of care using a collaborative approach with the patient/family and health care team.
• Collaborates with units throughout behavioral health services (adult, older adult, child/adolescent) in order to provide care in a safe and appropriate manner.
• Promptly completes documentation to assure an accurate legal record of patient’s care.
• Delivers high quality care utilizing the nursing process while demonstrating knowledge and clinical skills of the specialty required on assigned unit in accordance with established policies, procedures and standards of care.
• Utilizes holistic approach (considering biopsychosocial, spiritual, educational, safety, and related criteria) appropriate to the age of the patients and families served in the assigned service area.
• Delegates and provides direction for other healthcare team members within their scope of practice and holds them accountable for their involvement in the plan of care.
• Utilizes critical thinking in developing nursing interventions while maintaining responsibility and accountability for the knowledge of conditions of assigned patients.
• Utilizes therapeutic verbal and non-verbal communication techniques when intervening with patients and families to facilitate recovery.
• Directs the team in de-escalation interventions.
• Collaborates with ECT services by providing coverage in preparing patients for ECT, assisting ECT physician with treatments, and recovery room operations.
Education: Graduate of an accredited school of nursing or IA Board of Nursing approved nursing program. Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) is preferred.
Qualifications: Current active Iowa License to practice as a RN. Minimum of six months RN experience.
Department of Labor Level III (Medium) Work. Candidates must successfully complete a post-offer, pre-employment strength and agility test at Medium Level of Work.
*PLEASE NOTE: All newly licensed RNs with less than six months of RN experience and who are interested in this department or any other Acute RN role within UnityPoint Health – Des Moines, are encouraged and required to participate in the RN Residency program. Newly licensed nurses must apply for the Registered Nurse Residency position.
For more information about the program and upcoming cohort dates, please go to https://www.unitypoint.org/desmoines/nurse-residency-program.aspx
Requisition ID: 2021-87171
Street: 700 E University Ave
Name: 3020 UnityPoint Health Des Moines
Posting Minimum: USD $26.90/Hr.
Name: Inpt Adult MH- Luth
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): 0.8
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: Days/Evenings 7:00am-3:30pm and 3:00pm-11:30pm, approx 32 hours/week
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org