UnityPoint Health RN Acute-Cardiac Cath Lab Prep & Recovery-Methodist in Des Moines, Iowa
The Cath Lab RN in conjunction with other team members provides direct specialized care to patients in the Cardiac Cath Lab Prep and Recovery. Specialized clinical functions include femoral and radial site management including sheath removal as well as nursing care during and after some non-invasive cardiac testing including transesaphogeal echo and cardioversion. Successfully functions as a Registered Nurse as defined in Iowa Nursing Regulations and Practice Act. Provides nursing care for patients and families and maintains a practice environment that reflects the ANA Code for Nurses, Philosophy of Nursing at Unity Point Health-Des Moines within the structure of the Professional Nurse Practice Model and in collaboration with other care givers. Successful performance contributes to a holistic approach to the delivery of services, quality patient/family care, and a high level of satisfaction from patients and families.
Clinical Excellence/Patient Care
• Assesses the needs of patients and families, providing appropriate teaching and making the necessary referrals to provide continuity of care.
• Femoral and radial procedural site management including sheath removal.
• Care of patient during and following non-invasive, moderate sedation cardiac testing including but not limited to transesophageal echo and cardioversion.
• Develops an individual plan of care using a collaborative approach with the patient/family and health care team.
• Promptly completes documentation to assure an accurate legal record of patient’s care.
• Delivers high quality care utilizing the nursing process while demonstrating knowledge and clinical skills of the specialty required on assigned unit in accordance with established policies, procedures and standards of care.
• Utilizes holistic approach (considering biopsychosocial, spiritual, educational, safety, and related criteria) appropriate to the age of the patients and families served in the assigned service area.
• Delegates and provides direction for other healthcare team members within their scope of practice and holds them accountable for their involvement in the plan of care.
• Utilizes critical thinking in developing nursing interventions while maintaining responsibility and accountability for the knowledge of conditions of assigned patients.
• Under the nursing license, the RN provides indirect and direct supervision to Patient Care Techs.
Clinical Excellence and Patient Education
• Assess and chooses teaching strategies appropriate to the patient’s and their families’ age specific needs, culture, gender, readiness to learn and level of comprehension.
• Consults appropriate resources within the hospital to provide specialized education.
• Demonstrates knowledge that patient and workplace safety is a priority by preventing errors, accidents and infections and reporting potential or actual concerns immediately.
Education: Graduate of an accredited school of nursing or IA Board of Nursing approved nursing program. Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) is preferred.
Qualifications: Current active Iowa License to practice as a RN. Minimum of 2 years experience in telemetry or critical care.
Department of Labor Level III (Medium) Work. Candidates must successfully complete a post-offer, pre-employment strength and agility test at Medium Level of Work.
*PLEASE NOTE: All newly licensed RNs with less than six months of RN experience and who are interested in this department or any other Acute RN role within UnityPoint Health – Des Moines, are encouraged and required to participate in the RN Residency program. Newly licensed nurses must apply for the Registered Nurse Residency position.
For more information about the program and upcoming cohort dates, please go to https://www.unitypoint.org/desmoines/nurse-residency-program.aspx
Requisition ID: 2020-79856
Street: 1200 Pleasant St
Name: 3020 UnityPoint Health Des Moines
Name: Cardiac Cath Lab- Meth
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): .6
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: Days 6am-6:30pm, must be able to stay late if needed. No weekends, no holidays; approx 24 hrs/wk
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org