UnityPoint Health Patient Safety Companion-Clinical Staffing in Des Moines, Iowa
The patient safety companion provides patient monitoring services through direct patient observation in order to provide a safe environment for patients
• Provides 1:1 direct observation (in patient’s room) to assigned patient to prevent patient self-injury. Maintains visual observation at all times.
• Participates in collaborative identification of and reporting of patient safety issues.
• Removes any potential safety hazard from patient room and reports findings to nursing staff.
• Promotes diversionary activities as necessary and appropriate
• Maintains patient privacy and confidentiality
• Demonstrates understanding and proficient use of patient monitoring software while functioning as a remote monitoring technician.
• Documents proof of observation on suicide precautions and other safety protocols
• Assists patient with Activities of Daily Living in accordance with job training and in collaboration with health care team. Nursing staff must be notified if patient lifting is required.
• Notifies assigned nursing and support staff on assigned area immediately in case of emergency, or as needed to provide patient care on a routine basis.
• Seeks assistance immediately when patient appears to pose a threat to themselves or others
• Participates in hand-off of pertinent information/behavior about assigned patient when arriving on unit and upon completion of shift assignment.
• Notifies nursing and support staff to assist with other necessary activities (toileting, ambulation, etc)
• Coordinates meal and break times with team members and informs team prior to leaving patient room for any reason.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria:
• Demonstrates the Unity Point Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
• Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
• Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
• Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
• Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
• Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Education: High School Diploma or GED
Experience: Previous health care experience preferred.
License(s)/Certification(s):Must possess and maintain valid Basic Life Support (BLS) or obtain certification within three (3) months. Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work related reasons.
Knowledge/Skills/Abilities: Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English, Multicultural sensitivity, Ability to respond appropriately to patient/co-worker, and Maintain confidential information.
Requisition ID: 2021-86786
Street: 1200 Pleasant St
Name: 3020 UnityPoint Health Des Moines
Name: Clinical Staffing
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): 0.4
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: Nights: 11pm-7am with every third weekend rotation - 16 hours/week
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org