UnityPoint Health Patient Observation Technician-Clinical Staffing in Des Moines, Iowa
The patient safety companion provides patient monitoring services either through direct patient observation or through the central monitoring center in order to provide a safe environment for patients.
• Demonstrates understanding and proficiency of the use of the patient monitoring software while functioning as a remote monitoring technician. Maintains visual observation at all times. Verbally redirects patient over digital 2-way audio device that is in patient room
• Provides 1:1 direct observation (sitter in patient’s room) to assigned patient to prevent patient self- injury in situation where patient/family is unable to do so.
• Demonstrates the knowledge and skill necessary to provide the appropriate care to a patient population based on the patients individualized treatment plan as delegated by the RN.
• Accesses assigned nursing/nursing support staff on assigned area immediately in case of emergency, or as needed to provide patient care on routine basis.
• Seeks help or advice as soon as possible when patient appears to pose a threat to themselves or others.
• Participates in hand-off of pertinent information/behavior about assigned patients when arriving on unit/work area and upon completion of shift assignment.
• Coordinates meal and break times with team and informs appropriate team members prior to leaving monitoring station for any reason to ensure constant patient observation.
• Participates in a collaborative identification and reporting of patient safety issues.
• Seeks assistance with removal of any potential safety hazard from room and reports findings to Charge Nurse.
• Demonstrates safe work practices and attitudes, follows safety rules, works to prevent unsafe conditions and behaviors, and participates in organizational and department safety programs.
• Demonstrates initiative to improve quality and customer service.
• Balances team and individual responsibilities, objective and open to other’s views, gives and welcomes feedback, contributes to positive team goals, puts success of team above own interest.
Education: High School graduate or GED.
Experience: Familiarity with healthcare environment preferred. Basic computer skills required.
License(s)/Certification(s): Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons. Must possess and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification or obtain certification within three (3) months from date of hire.
Knowledge/Skills/Abilities: Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English. Multicultural sensitivity. Microsoft Office – basic computer skills. Customer/patient focused. Critical thinking skills using independent judgment in making decisions.
Requisition ID: 2020-84155
Street: 1200 Pleasant St
Name: 3020 UnityPoint Health Des Moines
Posting Minimum: USD $12.03/Hr.
Name: Telesitter Monitoring
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): 0.4
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: 11pm-7:30 am (16 hours/week)
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org