UnityPoint Health Orthopedic Technician-Emergency Department-Methodist in Des Moines, Iowa
Choose a career that matters with UnityPoint Health Des Moines! UnityPoint Health - Des Moines is a family of four hospitals including Iowa Methodist Medical Center, Iowa Lutheran Hospital, Blank Children's Hospital and Methodist West Hospital. Our team members are the compassionate core of who we are and how we serve our patients and visitors every day
Assists physician in immediate needs of trauma as it relates to injury and orthopedic technical services. Evaluates, plans, and coordinates orthopedic technical services for patients throughout UnityPoint Health-Des Moines (UPH-DM). Provides clinical expertise to interdisciplinary team to improve the clinical outcomes of persons served. Provides highly specialized skills to assist physicians and other team members in the application and safe removal of casts, traction, and other applicable devices. Works with team members and leadership for flexible and structured on-call coverage. Acts as a resource to the interdisciplinary team, applying skills of the profession to improve outcomes of persons served. Actions are team oriented to successfully provide quality care and a high level of satisfaction for persons served through evidence - based practice.
· Assists physician and interdisciplinary team members in meeting the specialized needs related to function and healing of bone, muscle and joints of persons served. This includes application, maintenance, and safe removal of splints, casts, traction and other applicable devices.
· Provides insight into orthopedic equipment and technology needs related to persons served. Seeks guidance from supervisor, physician provider and clinical team.
· Reports any questions or concerns regarding compliance immediately to the attention of department or organization/hospital administrative staff.
· Manages resources effectively to meet the needs of persons served while eliminating waste.
· Manages personal and job related skills and knowledge, sharing expertise with others to enhance the overall skill level of the position.
· Investigates trends and developments in orthopedic technology to promote continuous improvement and evidence – based practice.
· Demonstrates initiative to improve quality and customer service by striving to exceed customer expectations.
Professionalism and Personal Development
· Demonstrates professionalism and personal growth in daily actions.
· Promotes professional rehabilitation objectives among interdisciplinary team members.
· Consistently utilizes a holistic approach (considering physical, psych/social, spiritual, educational, safety, and related criteria, appropriate to the age of the patients served in the assigned service area).
· Participates in process improvement for enhancement of care delivery and clinical excellence.
· Fosters professional relationships that offer opportunities for enhanced patient access and care delivery.
· Exhibits flexibility with assignments including hours of operation to meet business and customer needs.
· Exhibits willingness to accept and learn new skills.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UPHDM Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
· This position may be assigned a specific mission to address in an emergency situation to assist in disaster response and recovery as part of the UPHDM Hospital Emergency Incident Command System. Situations of a critical nature may require an individual to perform multiple tasks until additional support can be obtained.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Graduation from high school or GED.
Minimum of 2 years of successful experience as an orthopedic technician or related field required.
Previous patient/customer care experience required.
Additional education or patient experience in related field a plus
Knowledge of human anatomy and function a plus.
Current BLS (CPR).
Certified Nursing Assistant or equivalent education/experience (EMT, ATC, previous patient care experience).
Must be in good standing on the Direct Care Worker Registry.
Registered Orthopedic Technician (ROT) certification required after 1 year but not greater than 2 years of orthopedic technology experience under the supervision of designated physician.
ASOP - The American Society of Orthopedic Professionals is the venue for the ROT certification.
Must be able to communicate effectively with people of diverse professional educational and lifestyle backgrounds.
Knowledge of basic computer skills.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Requisition ID: 2018-40457
Street: 1200 Pleasant St
Name: 3020 UnityPoint Health Des Moines
Name: Emergency Department- Meth
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): 0.5
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: variable/ 0.5
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org