UnityPoint Health Manager Nurse-Clinical Professional Development in Des Moines, Iowa
Provides leadership to the Clinical Professional Development team in providing comprehensive, quality, and cost-effective education programs and practice initiatives to meet the needs of nursing staff of UPH-DM, including the Nurse Residency program and the learning management system. Supports, mentors, and develops team members who provide education and support to the employees and patients of UPH-DM. Serves as a consultant and resource person to UPH DM leadership and staff. This position enhances the quality of patient care provided by the staff, the level of staff satisfaction with their work environment, the integration of education into the culture of UPH DM and the quality of educational opportunities for all staff.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). o not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
Manages the Business: Financial, Human Resource, Performance Improvement Technology Management
· Assumes responsibility for operational and capital budget development, monitoring, analysis, and variance reporting.
· Responsible for managing assigned resources. In doing so, interviews, hires, orients, evaluates, coaches/counsels the performance of, and when necessary, disciplines personnel as needed.
· Effectively utilizes tools provided for financial, quality and staff monitoring and management.
· Establishes department goals which are aligned with the strategic goals and plan for the organization; continuously monitors progress toward those goals.
· Assesses educational / developmental needs of the current & future work force, identifying opportunities for new services and programs and makes appropriate recommendations.
· Utilizes evidence-based practice and research to advance nursing practice within the organization.
· Directs the selection and implementation of learning technologies to create a blended learning environment that will meet identified medical center and employee needs.
· Oversees the coordination of the Nurse Residency Program.
· Collaborates with the Simulations manager in the ongoing development and integration of simulations into education for the multidisciplinary team.
· Participates in strategic planning with academic partners.
· Facilitates tracking of educational programs and evaluates the effectiveness of those programs.
· Evaluates the outcomes of learning modalities, reporting on cost effectiveness, employee performance, and regulatory compliance.
· Directs the coordination of the LMS for the Region and other affiliates.
· Develops a collaborative working relationship with operational leadership as related to educational needs and priorities.
· Supports ongoing initiatives related to Professional Nurse Practice Model, shared governance, and pursuit of excellence in nursing practice.
· Pursues partnerships with other departments, leaders, and staff in efforts to fully utilize all interested and skilled individuals in integrating “learning” into the culture of UPH-DM.
· Maintains knowledge of trends and developments in the field by reading articles, journals, and related material, through professional memberships, by attending seminars and conferences.
· Contributes to overall organization performance by participating on committees and task forces to advance the performance of nursing and/or the organization.
· Utilize feedback from others to improve one’s own professional performance in the role.
· Models professional activities such as continuing education, participation in professional organizations, certification, evidence-based practice, book or journal clubs, etc.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
MSN required in either nursing administration or nursing education.
PhD or DNP in leadership or education desirable.
· At least five years experience in a health care or health care related work setting
· Two years experience as n healthcare educator or in nursing leadership role
· Licensed RN in the state of Iowa
· Certification in staff development or nursing administration required
Demonstrated leadership and program management skills, with incremental positions of authority developing and implementing programs.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Requisition ID: 2020-81983
Street: 1415 Woodland Ave
Name: 3020 UnityPoint Health Des Moines
FLSA Status: Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: Day
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org