UnityPoint Health Diabetes Educator-Certified-Methodist Endocrinology in Des Moines, Iowa
Monday-Friday 8:00 to 4:30
Full Time Benefits
Is involved in teaching of the patient and family and community. Acts as a consultant and resource person for staff. Is involved with development of clinical pathways and protocols related to care of patient.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
· Collaborate with physicians in the coordination of care of the patient.
· Serve as a resource to nursing staff as well as to other health care personnel involved in the care of the specific specialty.
· Responsible for the development and ongoing coordination of care of the patient in the specific specialty.
· Current on technology and medications.
· Efficient with continuous glucose monitors, pumps, software, and phone apps.
· Patient interviewing.
· May serve other departments as assigned.
· Maintain organizational policies, procedures and objectives; performs functions other than described due to extenuating circumstances.
· Conduct or facilitate implementation of research studies, and translate research findings into nursing practice.
· Act as a consultant both within the institution and to outside agencies or groups.
· Share knowledge to facilitate the interdisciplinary approach to patient care.
· Balance team and individual responsibilities; be open and objective to other’s views; give and welcome feedback; contribute to positive team goals and put the success of the team above own interests.
· Work with the clinic staff for mentoring support.
· Develop, implement and evaluate standards of practice and care of the specialty patient population.
· Provide appropriate and timely documentation in the patient's electronic health record using standardized workflows and processes.
· Perform other duties as requested by Clinic Administrator to facilitate the smooth and effective operations of the office.
· Glucose reviews, insulin and medication management, assess patterns.
· Scheduling patients, phone calls, troubleshoot meters and pumps.
· Consult with individuals, families, community agencies, or colleagues from associated disciplines or within nursing.
· Serve as a resource in educating the patients, family and community regarding information relevant to health and wellness and illness prevention.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
· Graduate of an accredited nursing or dietitian program.
BSN preferred; willingness to complete Bachelor’s degree.
· Requires clinical knowledge and analytical abilities necessary to plan and evaluate patient care.
Five (5) years of clinical experience preferred.
· Certificate in Diabetes Education
· Current Iowa/Illinois/Wisconsin license to practice as a Registered Nurse or a Registered/Licensed Dietitian.
· BLS and Mandatory Reporter certification.
· Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
· Person Centered Care (PCC) course completion within first 12 months of hire and annual completion of competency validation activities.
· Creative thinking; analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making abilities; self-direction; theoretical implementation and evaluation.
· Ability to direct others and to exercise judgment in problem situations.
· Strong interpersonal skills.
· Strong computer skills.
· Ability to work as a team member.
· Able to write, read, comprehend and speak fluent English.
· Strong verbal and written communication skills.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Requisition ID: 2020-80459
Street: 1221 Pleasant St
Name: 9200 UnityPoint Clinic Affiliate
Name: Endocrinology- DM
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: Monday thru Friday 8:00 to 4:30
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org