UnityPoint Health CPE Supverisor in Des Moines, Iowa
Supervises programs of Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) in accordance with the Standards of The Association of Clinical Pastoral Education, Inc. (ACPE). The educator builds robust curriculum, recruits students, and leads an educational program designed to prepare chaplains for excellency in professional clinical ministry. The supervisor also provides clinical oversight for students in their hospital chaplaincy, ensuring they are providing quality care to patients, visitors, and team members. The CPE Supervisor provides spiritual care and counseling to patients, their visitors, and team members at UnityPoint Health – Des Moines hospitals, and provides education and leadership to UPHDM team members on spiritual, relational, and emotional issues affecting patient care.
• Coordinates operation of accredited programs of CPE.
• Develops, reviews, and refreshes CPE curriculum according to changing needs in the clinical environment, developments within the field, and ACPE standards.
• Engages in ongoing student recruitment to fill all vacancies with excellent candidates and communicates with prospective students in a timely and professional manner.
• Participates in personal continuing education opportunities, the provision of education within the healthcare environment and community, and service to the Association of Clinical Pastoral Educators (ACPE) as appropriate.
• Operates according to the ethical standards of ACPE.
• Oversees the clinical service of Chaplain Residents and Interns ensuring their ministry reflects the standards of professional chaplaincy.
• Provides positive feedback and visible recognition when the clinical performance of students is exemplary.
• Provides timely and preemptive corrective intervention when the clinical performance of students is unacceptable.
• Ensures all shifts assigned to students are filled in a timely manner.
Direct Patient Care
• Participates in the provision of spiritual care for patients, visitors, and UPHDM team members from all faith backgrounds.
• Participates in the on-call coverage of the hospitals.
• Documents work in timely and effective manner.
• Provides specific services that support the interdisciplinary care team, such as clinical education and debriefing.
• Supports strong relationships with community partners: Eucharistic ministers, community clergy, Iowa Synod of the Lutheran Church, Iowa Conference of the United Methodist Church, etc.
• Maintains confidentiality.
Preferred or Specialized
Master of Divinity or other graduate level theological degree
4+ Clinical Pastoral Education units (CPE)
Completed ACPE Certified Education program
4+ years in clinical chaplaincy
Ordained or endorsed for chaplaincy by a recognized religious group.
ACPE Certified Educator or ACPE Certified Associate Educator
Board Certified Chaplain
Communicates effectively in written and spoken English.
Technologically proficient (Microsoft Office, email communication, mobile utilization, web navigation, etc.)
Exhibits strong leadership, interpersonal skills, and ability to collaborate well with others.
Capable in self-development, development of others, and instruction.
Requisition ID: 2020-83354
Street: 1200 Pleasant St
Name: 3020 UnityPoint Health Des Moines
Name: Clinical Pastoral Educ-Meth
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): 1.0
FLSA Status: Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: Variable shifts - full time
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org