UnityPoint Health Care Manager-Family Services-Blank Children's Hospital in Des Moines, Iowa
Assumes joint accountability with other staff members for the coordination of discharge needs for patients and their families. The patient’s and families’ needs are assessed, evaluated, and monitored upon admission to the hospital, during the hospital stay, prior to discharge, and at the time of discharge. Assumes and coordinates the Utilization Management process for patients and families to support the efficient delivery of quality patient care. The process of coordination of discharge needs and utilization management involves collaboration from various members of the multidisciplinary health care professionals across the continuum of care. The successful completion of these duties contributes to the enhanced quality of cost effective discharge from Blank Children’s Hospital.
· Monitors admission and continued stay of all patients regardless of level of care.
· Monitors avoidable days which are delays in treatment or timely patient discharge, patient care. inefficiencies, and/or barriers to treatment and/or discharge.
· Performs admission and continuing stay reviews on required third party payers.
· Collaborates with patient’s physician on the medical service regarding discharge goals to develop discharge plans.
· Performs assessments to determine/develop discharge plan through collaboration with the family and the multidisciplinary health care team.
· Collaborates with other health care professionals internally and regionally to promote a smooth transition to home.
· Maintains documentation records/medical records.
· Adheres to standards of care for the pediatric patient.
· Promotes a positive image for IHS and BCH as a leader in the provision of care.
· Maintain clinical competency using the nursing process to provide quality care.
· Coordinates appropriate medication and/or home care services /supplies.
· Arranges follow-up appointments, activities, and schedules therapies.
· Meets with multidisciplinary staff at least twice a week and as necessary to facilitate, coordinate, and evaluate patient’s discharge planning needs.
· Coordinates and monitors the flow of information and medical records between the Blank Children’s Hospital and external review agencies.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Graduate of an accredited school of nursing, currently licensed to practice as a Registered Nurse in the state of Iowa.
Baccalaureate degree required with Master’s Degree obtained in 7 years.
Writes, reads, and speaks fluent English.
Knowledge and understanding of Inter-qual criteria and expected length of stays.
A minimum of two years pediatric experience.
A minimum of one year utilization management experience.
Demonstrates clinical competence in working with pediatric patients and their families.
Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
Current Iowa license to practice as a Registered Nurse
Requisition ID: 2018-47654
Street: 1200 Pleasant St
Name: 3020 UnityPoint Health Des Moines
Name: Family Services- Meth
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): 0.01
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: PRN
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org