UnityPoint Health RN Supervisor-Nursing Support in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Description of Position:
Provide a “snapshot” or the principal purpose or focus of the position, consisting of no more than three to five sentences. This summary should provide enough information to differentiate the major function and activities of the position from those of other positions.
The Nursing House Supervisor provides leadership support as the primary administrative representative in the absence of other administrative personnel on evening, night, weekend and holiday shifts. As a member of the hospital management team, the Nursing House Supervisor supports, supervises and coordinates the delivery of care during the aforementioned shifts. This position serves as a primary resource for interpretation of organizational and nursing policies and procedures.
The Nursing House Supervisor works collaboratively amongst staff, departments, patients, families, and providers to facilitate counseling, coaching and conflict management and resolution. He/She works to resolve complicated management and care issues and concerns. Serves as a resource to the healthcare team and assumes a leadership role in emergency situations.
The Nursing House Supervisor’s role includes patient bed placement. There is a concentrated focus to the process of matching healthcare treatment needs to hospital resources via placing the patient in the most appropriate hospital department and at the most appropriate level of care. The Nursing House Supervisor teams with the Patient Care Services leadership team in meeting patient flow needs of the hospital.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). o not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
· Provides on-going counseling and coaching of staff within the interdisciplinary team.
· Effectively delegates tasks and responsibilities to other health care team members and assumes responsibility for follow-up and collaboration.
· Provides professional nursing leadership through compliance with established patient care services and hospital routines, policies and procedures.
· Demonstrates on-going support of organizational and Patient Care Services strategic goals.
· Has the authority to declare and implement the Disaster Plan, as appropriate.
o Implements the Hospital Emergency Incident Command System (HEICS) and serves as the Incident Commander until such time that they are relieved.
· Recognizes and responds to bioethical and legal issues that influence patient care.
· Supports and empowers staff to act with appropriate responsibility for the work processes and work environment of which they are a part. Evokes in staff a sense of ownership of and accountability for their work.
Bed Placement and Staffing
· Evaluates the staffing needs of the nursing and hospital departments on a shift-by-shift and futuristic basis; collaborates with the leadership team to facilitate adjustments that meet department needs.
· Supports productivity measures, demonstrates support of fiscal and patient care leadership budgetary decisions.
· Assures that patient flow is managed per outlined guidelines, patient populations cared for, and skill sets required to provide safe, efficient and quality care to patients and families seeking care at UPH-St. Luke’s Hospital. .
o Collaborate with nursing departments and staff in matching the services required by the patients to department bed fill order, and bed availability to assign patients to an appropriate nursing care department.
o Utilizes bed tracking modules within the EMR.
o Uses information from the provider and/or office, ED, PACU ICU, and MICU to assist with appropriate patient placement.
o Attentive to the special needs of patients requiring services from the Center for Women and Children services, Surgical Services and Behavioral Health.
Clinical Excellence and Communication
· Real-time EMR documentation is done in accordance with hospital and department policies.
· Provider communication occurs concurrently and as needed, to assure safe handoffs, appropriate bed placement and clear understanding of information being shared.
· Maintains open lines of communication via the use of pager, telephone and electronic communication mechanisms.
· Honors the patient’s right to privacy by protecting confidential information unless obligated to disclose in a court of law and under proper authorization or legal compulsion.
· Notifies Department Manager, Director and/or Administration of concerns that have the potential to escalate or lead to Risk Management concerns.
· Participates in Shared Governance and other house-wide committees.
· Supports evidence-based clinical practice and questions the rationale and scientific basis for clinical practice and/or changes in practice.
o Complies with changes in clinical practice and standards.
o Participates in data collection when the opportunity is presented.
o Supports/participates in interpretation of clinical literature and uses to validate and/or change clinical practice.
· Incorporates the St. Luke’s Hospital’s Comfort/C.A.R.E. Professional Practice Model into their daily nursing practice.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
· Must have successfully completed an accredited nursing program.
· Must possess current RN licensure in the State of Iowa or compact state.
· BSN preferred.
· Three to five years of clinical experience required, with recognized knowledge and expertise in caring for emergency, medical-surgical, and/or critical care patient populations.
· Previous leadership experience preferred.
· Demonstrates competence in nursing and clinical leadership skills.
· Must maintain current BLS and CORE(or ACLS) certifications.
· Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
· Notary Public designation preferred.
· Specialty certification encouraged.
· Writes, reads, and comprehends fluent English.
· Must possess strong critical thinking skills, problem solving abilities and conflict management skills.
· Must be able to successfully complete basic computer course through in-hospital training; develops and maintains necessary computer skills including Word and Excel.
· Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Requisition ID: 2020-84662
Street: 1026 A Ave NE
Name: 1010 UnityPoint Health CR St Lukes Hospital
Name: Nursing Float/Critical Care
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): 0.4
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: Nights 1900-0700 2 nights per week, rotating with other night HS
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org