UnityPoint Health RN Supervisor-Medical/Urology in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Description of Position:
Provide a “snapshot” or the principal purpose or focus of the position, consisting of no more than three to five sentences. This summary should provide enough information to differentiate the major function and activities of the position from those of other positions.
The Unit Supervisor provides leadership support as part of the unit management team, supporting the Nurse Manager in their responsibility for the development, implementation, and evaluation of care provided on the patient care department(s), consistent with the established strategic plan, goals and objectives for Patient Care Services. The Unit Supervisor carries out the day-to-day operations plan of the department, under the direction of the Nurse Manager and/or Director. The Unit Supervisor serves as a clinical resource to other healthcare team members on the designated unit. May assume a patient care assignment based on department needs. The Unit Supervisor coordinates unit management activities and department staff development in conjunction and collaboration with the Nurse Manager and/or Director.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
· If serving in a charge RN role, evaluates daily staffing needs. Collaborates with the leadership team to facilitate adjustments that meet the department needs.
· Commits to the hours needed to achieve outcomes and develop others to assure round-the-clock leadership. Requires flexibility with hours worked and shifting priorities as the environment changes.
· Serves as a resource in the assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of nursing care in the clinical departments.
· Assists in creating a positive work environment that contributes to safe and positive clinical outcomes.
· Assists with providing a thorough and adequate orientation program for new staff and student interns.
· Assists with competency training and continuing education programming to ensure staff development needs are met for the department.
· Participates in department and hospital shared governance infrastructure and performance improvement activities.
· Incorporates the St. Luke’s Hospital’s Comfort/C.A.R.E. Professional Practice Model into their daily nursing practice.
· Follows up on patient concerns in the absence of the Nurse Manager. Notifies Nurse Manager or appropriate designee of any concerns that have the potential to escalate or lead to Risk Management concerns.
· Builds trusting, collaborative relationships with staff, peers, providers and administration to advance the core patient business strategy.
· Supports and empowers staff to act with appropriate responsibility for the work processes and work environment of which they are a part. Evokes in staff a sense of ownership of and accountability for their work. As well as stimulate staff to continuously improve their performance.
Professional Development of Team Members
· Supports a thorough and adequate orientation program for new staff and student interns.
· Supports the adequate competency training and continuing education programming is done to meet identified staff development needs.
· Supports department and hospital shared governance infrastructure and staff engagement.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
· Completion of an accredited nursing program
· Be expected to obtain BSN degree within 3 years of accepting position..
· Three years of clinical experience in a clinical setting
· Recognized knowledge and expertise in caring for specific patient populations
· Possess current RN licensure in the State of Iowa or compact state
· Maintain current BLS certification
· Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons
· Specialty certification
· Writes, reads, speaks, and comprehends fluent English
· Ability to lead and participate in multidisciplinary teams
· Ability to direct others and to exercise judgment in problem-solving scenarios
· Ability to lead and/or participate in multidisciplinary teams
· Possess a comprehensive knowledge of general nursing theory and practice and an expanded knowledge of current clinical and specialized patient care concepts.
· Possess a broad and varied knowledge base that is continually enhanced through self-directed study and participation in educational opportunities.
· Ability to successfully complete basic computer course through in-hospital training; develops and maintains necessary computer skills including Word and Excel.
· Possess knowledge of performance improvement and quality standards.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Requisition ID: 2020-83667
Street: 1026 A Ave NE
Name: 1010 UnityPoint Health CR St Lukes Hospital
Name: Surgical/3 Center Urology
FLSA Status: Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: Full Time, primarily day shift
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org