UnityPoint Health RN-Research-Cancer Care in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Description of Position:
Provide a “snapshot” or the principal purpose or focus of the position, consisting of no more than three to five sentences. This summary should provide enough information to differentiate the major function and activities of the position from those of other positions.
The primary responsibility of the research nurse is to manage all aspects of conducting clinical trials. The research nurse is required to have an in-depth knowledge of protocol requirements and good clinical practices as set forth by federal regulations. As the primary resource for the protocols, the research nurse will act as liaison between the investigators and/or research sponsor. Along with the investigator, the research nurse will screen, enroll and follow study subjects, ensuring protocol compliance and close monitoring while the subjects are on study. In addition, the nurse is responsible for all data and source documentation, adverse experience reporting, and maintenance of complete patient study records.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
· The associate is aware of hospital and department compliance for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of department or hospital administrative staff.
· Purposefully conducts all aspects of the job in an ethical manner in support of the hospital’s commitment to ethical behavior in all areas of personal and professional activity.
· Successfully completes hospital-wide orientation, annual hospital competencies and department/unit specific competencies.
· For the safety of our patients and co-workers, St. Luke’s Hospital requires seasonal and job related vaccinations. This is reviewed regularly during periodic health assessments.
· Ensures sound conduct of the clinical trial, including but not limited to recruitment, screening, enrollment, and follow-up of eligible subjects according to protocol requirements (e.g., subject follow-up, case report form completion, and reporting of adverse drug experiences).
· Maintains accurate and complete documentation, including but not limited to signed informed consent forms, source documentation, drug dispensing logs, subject logs, and study-related communications.
· Organizes all aspects of the trial, including but not limited to timeliness in completing case report forms (CRFs), data entry, reporting adverse drug experiences (ADEs), managing caseload and managing study files.
· Maintains communication of all protocol-related issues/problems to the appropriate management staff, including but not limited to questions regarding the conduct of the clinical trial, concerns regarding possible ADEs or subject compliance.
· Demonstrates professional conduct in the presence of subjects, research staff, sponsors, monitors
· Develops and maintains enrollment/follow-up mechanisms.
· Possess a sound and in-depth understanding of each protocol that has been assigned as a primary responsibility.
· Review with the principal investigator the inclusion/exclusion criteria, overall structure, and requirements of each protocol.
· Review and verify all relevant source documentation in the subject’s medical record to confirm study eligibility.
· Ensure adherence to protocol requirements.
· Maintain copies of all prescriptions written for study drug supplies, as appropriate.
· Ensure appropriate specimen collection.
· Attend study-related meetings as appropriate.
· Communicate regularly with the principal investigator about study-related issues.
· Case report form (CRF) preparation and study documentation and ensures timely and accurate CRF completion for each study subject.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
· RN required
· BSN preferred
· Oncology certification (OCN) or oncology experience preferred
· Experience organizing multiple tasks, working with diverse groups of people.
· Ability to work independently and self-direct work activities.
· Detailed oriented and able to meet established deadlines.
· Experience working within the oncology field preferred.
· Clinical research-related experience preferred
· Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
· Must maintain Iowa RN license
· Must possess and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification
· National Institute of Health (NIH Human Subjects Protection (HSP) certification
· Good Clinical Practice (GCP) certification
· International Air Transportation Association (IATA) certification
· Experience with Microsoft products required.
· Ability to build positive working relationships with physicians and external agencies.
· Ability to communicate with multiple levels of organizations and community (managers, physicians, clinical, and support staff).
· Possesses a broad and varied knowledge base that is continually enhanced and updated through self-directed study and participation in educational opportunities, with experience/emphasis in adult, geriatric and/or oncology care desired
· Experience with database development and maintenance preferred.
· Must demonstrate a cooperative, courteous, dependable working performance.
· Must possess high integrity and maintain confidentiality at all times.
· Promotes the cancer center’s philosophy of customer service and teamwork by possessing and demonstrating acceptable business etiquette.
· Must contribute to a positive workflow in the department.
Requisition ID: 2020-79287
Street: 202 10th St SE
Name: 1010 UnityPoint Health CR St Lukes Hospital
Name: Helen G Nassif Comm Cancer
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): 0.9
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: Monday - Friday Days
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org