UnityPoint Health RN-Operating Room (Full Time) in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Description of Position:
Provide a “snapshot” or the principal purpose or focus of the position, consisting of no more than three to five sentences. This summary should provide enough information to differentiate the major function and activities of the position from those of other positions.
The Registered Nurse functions as a member of the surgical team to facilitate the safe and effective conduct of invasive surgical, therapeutic, and diagnostic procedures. The Registered Nurse collaborates with the team to ensure that the operating room environment is safe, that equipment functions properly, and that the operative procedure is conducted under conditions that maximize patient safety. The Registered Nurse is accountable for assessing patient needs preoperatively; planning, implementing, evaluating, and documenting nursing care of the patient intraoperatively, and providing a report of intraoperative care to the nurse who will be caring for the patient postoperatively. In addition, the Registered Nurse may function as a member of the sterile surgical team, assist in the pre-and post-operative care of the patient as needed, or assemble instruments, supplies, and equipment for procedures.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
Clinical Excellence/Patient Care
· Assesses the needs of patients and families, providing appropriate teaching and making the necessary referrals to provide continuity of care.
· Develops an individual plan of care using a collaborative approach with the patient/family and health care team.
· Promptly completes documentation to assure an accurate legal record of patient’s care.
· Delivers high quality care utilizing the nursing process while demonstrating knowledge and clinical skills of the specialty required on assigned unit in accordance with established policies, procedures and standards of care.
· Utilizes holistic approach (considering biopsychosocial, spiritual, educational, safety, and related criteria) appropriate to the age of the patients and families served in the assigned service area.
· Delegates and provides direction for other healthcare providers and hold them accountable for their involvement in the plan of care.
· Utilizes critical thinking in making independent judgments, and maintains responsibility and accountability for the knowledge of conditions of assigned patients.
· Demonstrates a working knowledge of aseptic technique and adheres to the essential functions and responsibilities set forth by the Certified Surgical Technologist I (Skilled) as applicable
· May be trained to pre-op and discharge patients through Surgicare with support of the Surgicare call person, support the needs of the recovery room and Endo call teams, and support the needs of Pain clinic procedures
· Continues professional development and involvement in professional activities that enhances nursing practice by sharing knowledge through networking and research.
· Assess and chooses teaching strategies appropriate to the patient’s and their families’ age specific needs, culture, gender, readiness to learn and level of comprehension.
· Consults appropriate resources within the hospital to provide specialized education.
· Demonstrates knowledge that patient and workplace safety is a priority by preventing errors, accidents and infections and reporting potential or actual concerns immediately.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Graduation from an accredited registered nursing program
Bachelor’s degree in nursing preferred
Operating Room experience preferred
Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
Current Licensure in good standing to practice as a Registered Nurse in the state of Iowa
Must possess current basic life support (BLS) certification
CORE if weekend package associate
CNOR and/or other specialty specific certifications encouraged
Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English
Critical thinking skills using independent judgment in making decisions
Basic computer knowledge using Microsoft Office, web browser, and email
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position
Call responsibilities may be associated with this position. Registered Nurse must remain substance free and within 30 minutes of the facility when fulfilling call obligations
Requisition ID: 2021-92416
Street: 1026 A Ave NE
Name: 1010 UnityPoint Health CR St Lukes Hospital
Name: Operating Rooms
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: 5x8 or 4x10 hour days with call
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org