UnityPoint Health RN-Lifeguard in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Description of Position:
Provide a “snapshot” or the principal purpose or focus of the position, consisting of no more than three to five sentences. This summary should provide enough information to differentiate the major function and activities of the position from those of other positions.
Provides patient care as defined by the scope of practice for the Registered Nurse in Iowa, Bureau of Emergency and Trauma Services (BETS) and as authorized by the LifeGuard Medical Director in both the hospital and transport settings in coordination with the Flight Paramedic. The Flight Nurse collaborates with physicians and other health care providers to assess, plan, implement and evaluate patient care while demonstrating LifeGuard Standards of Excellence. The Flight Nurse participates in patient and family teaching and provides leadership by working cooperatively with other health care team members in the transport and hospital setting. Performance of these responsibilities requires specialized knowledge, critical thinking and skills based on principles of psychological, social, physical and biological sciences that utilize an expanded nursing scope of practice, as set forth by the critical care transport industry and accreditation standards.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
Clinical Excellence/Patient Care
· Performs initial assessment process per specific department standards to include patient history, physical, and psycho-social assessment. Utilizes physical assessment data, diagnostic data (lab, radiology, diagnostic testing), pharmacological information and patient/family perceptions related to focus problem areas and identifying goals of care in the hospital and transport setting
· Uses critical thinking in independent judgment and maintains responsibility for knowledge of the patient’s condition.
· Delegate’s patient care appropriately based on clinical assessment and within scope of practice of provider receiving assignment both in transport and hospital settings. Assumes responsibility for follow-up and collaboration.
· Assesses needs of patients and families, provides appropriate teaching to facilitate patient/family decision making regarding cares.
· Collaborates with physicians and other health care professionals in planning and implementing care within organizational and department policy and legal limitations
· Uses a holistic approach (considering physical, psychosocial, spiritual, educational, safety and related criteria) appropriate to age in the care of patients and families.
· Consistently delivers high quality, competent care demonstrating knowledge and clinical skills of the specialty in accordance with established policy procedure.
· Assumes responsibility for developing a plan of care that is mutually established with the patient and family. Each patient is treated as an individual, with their identified goals and expectations reviewed each shift to verify priorities.
· Integrates multidisciplinary approach to maintain comfort, support human functions and responses, and maintain an environment conductive to safety and well-being. Implements measures to promote a safe environment
· Partners with healthcare team to achieve the patient care outcomes and goals of care.
· Administers medications and treatments within scope of practice according to patient care guidelines.
· Completes documentation in accordance to policy/procedure and compliance with the Iowa Code using the designated EMR platform.
· Practice demonstrates the understanding that crew, workplace and patient safety is a priority by practicing Just Culture, preventing errors, accidents and infections; and reporting potential or actual concerns immediately.
· Responds to emergencies within UnityPoint Health – St. Lukes Hospital as a member of the MET, Code and Surge response teams.
· Demonstrates ability to meet the department work schedule
Development & Patient Education
· Demonstrates professional development by keeping abreast of current Critical Care and transport practices; and healthcare trends.
· Continues professional development and involvement in professional activities that enhance patient care practice by sharing knowledge through networking and research.
· Assess and chooses teaching strategies appropriate to the patient’s and their families’ age specific needs, culture, gender, readiness to learn and level of comprehension.
· Consults appropriate resources within the hospital and transport community to provide specialized education.
· Demonstrates knowledge that patient and workplace safety is a priority by preventing errors, accidents and infections and reporting potential or actual concerns immediately utilizing formal mechanisms of reporting.
· Integrates patient/family teaching throughout the hospitalization, including the plan and goals of care, pre- and post-operative procedures, diagnostic procedures, and discharge teaching.
· Integrates preventative health maintenance into the education plan.
· Assists in the orientation of new associates by acting as a resource and mentor to associates. Collaborates with unit leadership, serving in a preceptor and/or mentor role, as appropriate.
· Participates in the education experiences of residents, EMS and nursing students.
· Utilizes evidenced based models of learning.
· Balance team and individual responsibilities; be open and objective to other’s views; give and welcome feedback; contribute to positive team goals; and put the success of the team as a priority.
· Integrates and demonstrates LifeGuard Standards of Excellence and the UnityPoint/St. Luke’s mission, vision and values to guide professional behaviors while adhering to the policies and procedures of UnityPoint-St. Luke’s and LifeGuard Air Ambulance.
· Demonstrates collaboration with Emergency Department and other units throughout UnityPoint Health-St. Lukes hospital as needed and requested.
· The associate is aware of hospital and department compliance for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of department or hospital administrative staff.
· Knowledgeable of EMTALA regulations as it applies to the transport setting.
· Purposefully conducts all aspects of the job in an ethical manner in support of the hospital’s commitment to ethical behavior in all areas of personal and professional activity.
· Successfully completes hospital-wide orientation, annual hospital competencies and department specific competencies.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, JCAHO, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
· Graduate of accredited nursing program
· BSN degree
· A minimum of 3 years’ experience full-time as an RN in an Emergency Department and/or Critical Care department.
· Successful completion of TNCC.
· Critical Care experience as well as Emergency Department experience
· Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons
· Possess current RN licensure in the State of Iowa or compact state
· Current BLS, ACLS, PALS.
· Current national certification: CEN, CCRN or CFRN.
· Successful completion of TNCC.
· Within 18 months of hire into the flight program, the flight Nurse will successfully complete the Transport Professional Advanced Trauma Class (TPATC) and Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP)
· Certified Flight Nurse (CFRN)
· Illinois Nursing Licensure will be applied for upon hire.
· Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English
· Multicultural sensitivity
· Microsoft Office – basic computer skills
· Demonstrates proficiency in the manual skills and techniques required to perform basic/advanced nursing procedures in the administration of medication therapy and the operation of specialized equipment
· Ability to complete a basic computer course on the Electronic Medical Record (EMR) through in-hospital training
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Work may occasionally require travel to other UPH facilities. May drive a UPH vehicle, rental or own vehicle.
Requisition ID: 2021-92193
Street: 1026 A Ave NE
Name: 1010 UnityPoint Health CR St Lukes Hospital
Name: Air Ambulance/Lifeguard
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): 0.9
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: Rotating Days and Nights - 12 Hour
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org