UnityPoint Health RN-General Behavioral (Older Adult), Full Time in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Are you interested in being part of a high performing team and providing support and compassion to patients with mental illness? St. Luke’s Inpatient Older Adult Behavioral Health unit has been providing acute mental health care services for years and are the experts in this field. Mental Health Registered Nurses utilize trauma informed care techniques to provide support to patients in acute crisis, with a focus on immediate safety and ongoing support to successfully transition back into the community.
Why choose UnityPoint Health St. Luke’s Older Adult Behavioral Health Unit?
Better nurse-patient ratios than other comparable Acute Inpatient Behavioral Health Units
Safe working environments with access to 24/7 security services and additional BH response
You will have the opportunity to work with a large collaborative healthcare team. The team includes a supportive nursing leadership team, nurses, patient care technicians, psychiatrists, nurse practitioners, recreational therapists, care coordination, and social work.
Ability to cross-train across other age groups if desired
New Grad RNs welcome to apply! CPI and other certifications offered.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
Clinical Excellence/Patient Care
· Assumes primary responsibility for the plan of care for a patient or group of patients, per unit standards and nursing care required for the specified patient population.
· Effectively delegates tasks and responsibilities to other health care team members and assumes responsibility for follow-up and collaboration.
· Performs admission assessment process per specific department standards to include patient history, physical, and psycho-social assessment. Utilizes physical assessment data, diagnostic data (lab, radiology, diagnostic testing), pharmacological information and patient/family perceptions in formulating nursing diagnosis related to focus problem areas and identifying goals of care.
· Assumes responsibility for developing a plan of care that is mutually established with the patient and family. Each patient is treated as an individual, with their identified goals and expectations reviewed each shift to verify priorities.
· Implements the plan of care according to current standards of nursing practice, evidence-based practice, and hospital protocol/procedures.
· Integrates multidisciplinary approach to maintain comfort, support human functions and responses, and maintain an environment conductive to safety and well-being. Implements measures to promote a safe environment.
· Partners with healthcare team to achieve the patient care outcomes and goals of care.
· Administers medications and nursing treatments within scope of practice.
· Incorporates St. Luke’s Comfort/C.A.R.E. Professional Practice Model in their daily nursing care.
· Assess and chooses teaching strategies appropriate to the patient’s and their families’ age specific needs, culture, gender, readiness to learn and level of comprehension.
· Consults appropriate resources within the hospital to provide specialized education.
· Demonstrates knowledge that patient and workplace safety is a priority by preventing errors, accidents and infections and reporting potential or actual concerns immediately.
· Integrates patient/family teaching throughout the hospitalization, including the plan and goals of care, pre- and post-operative procedures, diagnostic procedures, and discharge teaching.
· Integrates preventative health maintenance into the education plan.
Leadership and Professional Development
· Assists in the orientation of new associates by acting as a resource and mentor to associates. Collaborates with unit leadership, as appropriate. Serves in preceptor role, as appropriate.
· Participates in the education experiences of students and/or RN interns.
· Continues professional development and involvement in professional activities that enhance nursing practice by sharing knowledge through networking and research.
· Utilizes evidenced based models of learning.
· Participates in department and hospital shared governance infrastructure and performance improvement activities.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, JCAHO, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
· Graduate of accredited nursing program
· BSN degree
· Prefer one (1) year of hospital clinical experience or demonstrated clinical efficiency.
· Possess current RN licensure in the State of Iowa or compact state
· Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons
· Specialty certification
· Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English
· Multicultural sensitivity
· Demonstrates proficiency in the manual skills and techniques required to perform basic/advanced nursing procedures in the administration of medication therapy and the operation of specialized equipment
· Ability to complete a basic computer course on the Electronic Medical Record (EMR) through in-hospital training
· Microsoft Office – basic computer skills
· Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Requisition ID: 2021-89993
Street: 1026 A Ave NE
Name: 1010 UnityPoint Health CR St Lukes Hospital
Name: General Behavioral/1W
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): 0.9
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: 12 hour night shifts, no weekends
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org