UnityPoint Health RN-General Behavioral (Adult), Full Time Nights in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Are you interested in being part of a high performing team that provides support and compassion to patients with mental illness? St. Luke’s Inpatient Adult Behavioral Health unit has been providing acute mental health care services for years and are the experts in this field. Mental Health Registered Nurses utilize trauma informed care techniques to provide support to patients in acute crisis, with a focus on immediate safety and ongoing support to successfully transition back into the community or placement to meet the continuing needs of each of our patients.
Why choose UnityPoint Health St. Luke’s Adult Behavioral Health Unit?
Join a cohesive team that knows the importance of working together.
Safe working environments with access to 24/7 security services and additional BH response
You will have the opportunity to work with a large collaborative healthcare team. The team includes a supportive nursing leadership team, nurses, mental health workers, patient care technicians, psychiatrists, nurse practitioners, recreational therapists, care coordination, and social work.
Ability to cross-train to the older adult and child/adolescent units.
Opportunities for career advancement and higher education are available and supported by the management team.
New Grad RNs welcome to apply! CPI and other certifications offered.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
Clinical Excellence/Patient Care
· Admission assessment includes completion of the comprehensive evaluation of the mental status – patient’s mood, affect, though content and psychosocial issues.
· Initiates care plan updates and documents on the progress towards goals per unit policy.
· Maintains competence in performing procedures involved with the management of violent or potentially violent patients. Complies with policies for restraint and seclusion per service guidelines.
· Maintains competence in the management of the patient undergoing ECT where applicable.
· Is knowledgeable regarding managed care implications – precertification and utilization review procedures.
· Provides consultation regarding behavioral health issues as needed to other hospital staff/departments.
Development & Patient Education
· Continues professional development and involvement in professional activities that enhance nursing practice by sharing knowledge through networking and research.
· Assess and chooses teaching strategies appropriate to the patient’s and their families’ age specific needs, culture, gender, readiness to learn and level of comprehension.
· Consults appropriate resources within the hospital to provide specialized education.
· Demonstrates knowledge that patient and workplace safety is a priority by preventing errors, accidents and infections and reporting potential or actual concerns immediately.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, JCAHO, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Graduate of accredited nursing program
Prefer one (1) year of hospital clinical experience or demonstrated clinical efficiency.
Current licensure in good standing to practice as a Registered Nurse in [type in State].
Must possess and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification or obtain certification within three (3) months from date of hire.
Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English.
Microsoft Office – basic computer skills.
Critical thinking skills using independent judgment in making decisions.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Work may occasionally require travel to other UPH facilities. May drive a UPH vehicle, rental or own vehicle.
Requisition ID: 2021-92236
Street: 1026 A Ave NE
Name: 1010 UnityPoint Health CR St Lukes Hospital
Name: General Behavioral/2E
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): 0.9
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: Nights
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org