UnityPoint Health Radiation Therapist - PRN Community Cancer Center in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Description of Position:
The Radiation Therapist is responsible for the safe delivery of radiation therapy treatments to patients as prescribed by the physician, and in accordance with the standards of practice of the American Registry of Radiologic Technicians. Perform simulation and treatment procedures as prescribed by the Radiation Oncologist. Completes assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of clinical programs working closely with the St. Luke’s Cancer Care Director, Radiation Oncology Manager and Medical Director to advance clinical outcomes, efficiency and services offered through St. Luke’s Radiation Oncology Program. Supports the mission of the Helen G. Nassif Community Cancer Center (HGNCCC) and collaboratively works with team members of the HGNCCC to provide quality, compassionate care across the continuum.
% of Time
· Responsible for working knowledge of the operational methods and safety standards of all equipment producing ionizing radiation within the department (ie: linear accelerator and simulator). Therapists will be responsible for delivering therapeutic doses to patients.
· Participates in the construction/preparation of immobilization, beam directional and beam modification devices.
· Applies principles of patient safety during all aspects of patient care.
· Ensures all necessary clinical information is included in patient’s radiation chart. Accurately completes documentation of radiation therapy treatment in patients chart in timely manner. Ensures consent and prescription information is complete before administration of radiation. Accurately captures charges for services performed.
· Performs tumor localization; makes changes/adjustments to ports as required by physicians via manual or electronic methods.
· Reports patient progress and observes patients for side effects or complications and reports appropriately to nurse/and or physician.
· Schedules patients to assure maximum efficiency and productivity relative to personnel and machine resources.
· Administers contract agents according to procedure guidelines and states correct flow rates utilizing power injector.
· Performs patient procedural education
· Adjusts to various duties, work load volumes, and shifts, to include on-call.
· Participates in special treatment procedures offered in the department. These special procedures include but are not limited to IORT, SRS, SBRT, Brachytherapy, and other treatment procedures.
· Participates in department quality improvement activities
· Utilize communication skills effectively when interacting with patients, families, other employees, and physicians.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Must have complete Radiation Therapy Program and be eligible for Certification
4 year degree preferred
-Meets the current requirements of the Iowa Emergency Management Association, Department of Nuclear Safety for the position of Radiation Therapist.
-Experience organizing multiple tasks, working with diverse groups of people
-Ability to work independently and self-direct work activities
-Detail oriented and able to meet established deadlines
Working knowledge of Varian True Beam linear accelerator
EPIC and ARIA experience
Must have Certification within 3 Months of Starting in the position from ARRT- Without Certification employee will be observed until Certified.
-Must possess and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification
Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
- ARRT (American Registry of Radiologic Technologists) certification
-valid State of Iowa license in radiation therapy
-Knowledge of operational methods and safety standards of all equipment producing ionizing radiation within the department
-Knowledge and performance of comprehensive radiation therapy QA programs from linear accelerators, CT Simulation, treatment planning systems and radioactive implant procedures, and competence with computer functions and skills relevant to radiation therapy department.
-Experience with 3D conformal therapy, IMRT, SRS/SBRT, OSMS equipment and procedures.
-Must possess a working knowledge of the process of applying ionizing radiation for patient treatment, calculation activities and the evaluation of treatment records.
-Working knowledge of radiation safety and current rules and regulations of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC).
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Requisition ID: 2021-94518
Street: 1026 A Ave NE
Name: 1010 UnityPoint Health CR St Lukes Hospital
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): 0.01
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: PRN - As Needed
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org