UnityPoint Health Pharmacist Staff (Weekend Package) in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Description of Position:
The Staff Pharmacist, Inpatient is responsible for working within the established guidelines of the Pharmacy Department as assigned. The Staff Pharmacist, Inpatient is expected to understand and support the Mission and Vision of St. Luke’s Hospital. The Staff Pharmacist, Inpatient is responsible for carrying out the philosophy and objectives as established by the Board of Directors and the Management Team. The Staff Pharmacist, Inpatient reports to the Supervisor, Inpatient Pharmacy.
% of Time
Key Accountability - Medication Order Verification and Dispensing Activities
· Interprets, reviews, enters or verifies, dispenses / compounds and distributes medication orders in a careful and accurate manner in assigned departmental area.
· Maintains current hospital pharmacy knowledge, professional expertise and skills necessary to assure the proper interpretation, safe preparation and dispensing of medications for all patients.
· Performs distributive functions within established turnaround times.
· Assists in maintaining adequate stocks of pharmaceuticals and supplies through established inventory management procedures, and cost effective utilization. Provides advice and recommendations to inventory staff and communicates unusual usage patterns.
· Exhibits understanding and knowledge regarding utilization of pharmacy related components of the hospital information systems, automated medication dispensing equipment, outpatient pharmacy equipment/programs, and other equipment/software programs used to prepare, package, barcode, distribute, track and trend medication related processes.
· Understands and adheres to all safety practices while performing duties to minimize any risk of injury and / or exposure to hazardous material.
· Performs and/or assists with departmental inspections and, controlled substance verifications and reports, as assigned.
· Supervises pharmacy technicians in an efficient and effective manner, consistent with applicable laws, regulations and policies.
Key Accountability - Clinical Pharmacy Services
· Monitors patient medication therapy with regard to clinical appropriateness including: dose, administration schedule, allergies, drug - drug, drug - food interactions, and cost considerations.
· Performs patient medication counseling, drug regimen reviews, and establishes pharmaceutical care plans in accordance with regulatory requirements, departmental policy and procedures for the assigned area of service.
· Communicates and consults with patients and physicians regarding recommendations and suggestions concerning medication therapy in a timely and professional manner in accordance with departmental practice for the assigned service area.
· Appropriately utilizes collaborative practice agreements approved through the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee (P & T) in accordance with hospital policy and state laws.
· Documents clinical, educational and consultative activities according to departmental procedure.
· Assists with patient, nursing or physician educational programs or newsletters as assigned.
· Maintains Adverse Drug Reaction (ADR) databases, prepares clinical and quality improvement reports and summaries as assigned.
· Serves on inter and intra departmental committees and interdisciplinary patient care committees as assigned.
Key Accountability - Miscellaneous
· Displays a positive, professional and customer service oriented appearance and attitude.
· Possesses ability and makes good independent decisions based upon knowledge of the overall department function, policies and procedures.
· Communicates with department management as necessary when problems or unusual circumstances arise.
· Attends in-services, on the job training, and participates in continuing education programs to meet licensure requirements, developmental needs and keep abreast of new technologies. Attends at least 75% of required departmental meetings.
· Assists with executing and monitoring professional practices in order to meet necessary pharmacy standards, recommendations and requirements of voluntary and government agencies (i.e. Iowa Board of Pharmacy Examiners, Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA), Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), State Board of Health, Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)).
· Provides professional leadership, motivation and guidance to peers and other pharmacy staff, addressing situations or problems in which they are involved, counseling and guiding their activities and making decisions when problems are encountered.
· Is able to prioritize work appropriately and assists others as time and workload allows.
· Promotes the development, preparation, implementation and attainment of departmental goals, policies, procedures and projects to enhance the effectiveness of present operations and/or for improved patient care, physician relations, public image, efficiency, and / or cost effectiveness.
· Assists with department staff education, training, orientation, competency development, testing and monitoring to ensure quality and established service level. Provides information for the evaluation of staff.
· Assists with departmental quality improvement activities, including documentation, design, measurement, assessment and formulation of corrective action.
· Interacts and communicates effectively with departmental staff, other hospital staff and customers to provide timely service, accurate information and to reduce problems and minimize exceptions.
· Completes assignments with minimum of supervision and guidance.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Must have successfully graduated from a recognized school or college of pharmacy with either a bachelor of science degree in pharmacy or a doctor of pharmacy (Pharm.D.) degree.
A minimum of three years of relevant hospital pharmacy experience is desirable.
-Must maintain a current license to practice pharmacy in the State of Iowa.
- Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
Must be able to read, write and speak fluent English.
Must possess excellent communication and customer service skills.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Requisition ID: 2021-94333
Street: 1026 A Ave NE
Name: 1010 UnityPoint Health CR St Lukes Hospital
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): 0.6
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: Over Nights WEP
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org