UnityPoint Health Patient Care Technician-Digestive Health Center in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
The Patient Care Technician (PCT) is responsible for a variety of tasks and services to assist in the provision of care and comfort for patients under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse (RN). The PCT will report and record observations and contribute to the efficient functionality of the department.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
Clinical Excellence/Patient Care
· Partners with the RN and other healthcare team members to achieve patient care outcomes and goals of care, as identified in the plan of care.
· Obtains records and/or accurately enters data into the EMR, as identified in the PCT Scope of Practice. Competency validation and documentation of skill performance is required.
· Performs specific tasks as directed by the RN and other healthcare team members, following competency validation. Refer to specific department job description addendum and PCT Scope of Practice.
· Assists patients with activities with daily living.
· May assist in transporting medications that are NOT controlled substances from pharmacy delivery devices to medication storage areas on patient care unit, as well as transporting medications from patient care unit to pharmacy.
· Demonstrates an awareness of patient and personal safety.
Clinical Excellence/Unit Secretary
· Will assist in Unit Secretary Responsibilities, per department expectations and appropriate competency validation.
· Planning and Implementation of the Digestive Health Center/ Endoscopy Scheduling Process.
· Allocates schedule time to physicians based on established blocks and first come/first served scheduling policies.
· Works with the Business Manager of Surgical Services and the department management team to determine equipment and instrument needs, and to refine/improve the scheduling process.
· Verifies preliminary schedules on a daily basis to ensure accuracy and completeness, preventing errors that could potentially cause a dysfunctional schedule.
· Maintains close contact with physician’s offices and follows up on scheduled cases as necessary.
· Continually maintains and strives to enhance personal technical and clinical competence in all job related duties.
· Participates in mandatory education and department staff meetings, per established guidelines.
· Participates in shared governance and performance improvement activities at department and/or organizational level.
· Complies with established safety goals, infection prevention and risk management policies and procedures.
· Performs other duties as deemed necessary to meet the hospital’s mission, to give the healthcare we’d like our loved ones to receive.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Requires high school diploma or GED and/or appropriate certification as required by hospital policy or governmental regulation.
C.N.A. certification preferred.
Prefer minimum of one year clinical experience.
Maintain current BLS certification.
Must be able to successfully complete a basic computer course on the Electronic Medical Record (EMR) through in-hospital training.
Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English.
Microsoft Office-basic computer skills.
Critical thinking skills using independent judgement in making decisions.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Requisition ID: 2018-44528
Street: 1026 A Ave NE
Name: 1010 UnityPoint Health CR St Lukes Hospital
Name: Endoscopy/Digestive Center
Posting Minimum: USD $11.03/Hr.
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): 0.01
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: PRN as Needed (8:00AM—4:30PM although flex time depending on procedure schedule)
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org