UnityPoint Health Occupational Therapist Assistant I in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Description of Position:
Provide a “snapshot” or the principal purpose or focus of the position, consisting of no more than three to five sentences. This summary should provide enough information to differentiate the major function and activities of the position from those of other positions.
Responsible for taking a leadership role in program development and daily coordination of patient care services for his/her service area. The Level I occupational therapy assistant is responsible for administering patient therapeutic interventions under the direction and supervision of a licensed occupational therapist. The Level I occupational therapy assistant practices within the scope of the profession of Occupational Therapy for adult and pediatric patients.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
Clinical Excellence/Patient Care
· Administers patient/client interventions as directed and supervised by a licensed Occupational Therapist in accordance with State of Iowa law.
· Provides patient and family education and training
· Completes required patient care documentation and communication.
· Collaborates with hospital departments and community agencies to deliver coordinated patient care
· Meets department productivity standards
· Maintains a safe and orderly work environment
Program and professional development
· Provides clinical supervision of students
· Facilitates orderly department functioning
· Participates in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation and hospital meetings
· Participates in interdisciplinary task forces and committees
· Participates in performance improvement activities
· Contributes to program development
· Participates in hospital and department provided in-services and community education
· Participates in development and education of colleagues
· Promotes a greater understanding of rehabilitation and of Occupational Therapy in the hospital and community
· Assumes responsibility for own professional growth and development in clinical practice, regulatory and fiscal issues
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, CARF, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Meets educational requirements as necessary for obtaining professional license as an Occupational Therapist Assistant
Experience working as an Occupational Therapist Assistant is preferred
· Current licensure in good standing to practice as an Occupational Therapist Assistant in Iowa.
· Must possess and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification or obtain certification within three (3) months from date of hire.
· Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons. License to practice speech language pathology from the Iowa Department of Public Health.
· Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English.
· Multicultural sensitivity.
· Microsoft Office – basic computer skills.
· Customer/patient focused.
· Critical thinking skills using independent judgment in making decisions.
· Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
· Work may occasionally require travel to other UPH facilities. May drive a UPH vehicle, rental or own vehicle.
Requisition ID: 2018-53897
Street: 1026 A Ave NE
Name: 1010 UnityPoint Health CR St Lukes Hospital
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): .01
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: PRN; 8-4:30
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org