UnityPoint Health Medical Technologist (MT) or Medical Lab Technician (MLT) - Full Time in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Description of Position:
Provide a “snapshot” or the principal purpose or focus of the position, consisting of no more than three to five sentences. This summary should provide enough information to differentiate the major function and activities of the position from those of other positions.
Plays an important role in the lab interacting with patients and healthcare personnel. Supports preanalytical, analytical and post analytical laboratory workflows. Responsibilities include all the following: 1) registration, 2) phlebotomy, 3) sample processing/aliquoting/prepping for transport/testing and 5) performs CLIA waived, moderate and high complexity testing; supporting clinical laboratory areas such as hematology, chemistry, coagulation, urinalysis, microbiology and blood bank.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
· Supports clinical testing with such duties as slide preparation and staining, microbiology set up and plating, reagent prep, instrument loading and quality control.
· Performs CLIA waived, moderate and high complexity testing for medical and legal chain of custody samples in accordance with manufacturer specifications using good laboratory practice.
· Works efficiently with the workflow and workload.
· Performs and documents routine instrument function verification, quality control and maintenance.
· Troubleshoots, resolves and documents non-routine instrument issues; contacts service as needed.
· Assists with document control activities including technical and non-technical procedure writing and periodic reviews.
· Greets everyone with a pleasant and professional manner, using patient experience best practice guidelines (AIDET, 5/10 Rule and No-Point, etc.)
· Identifies patients and samples using two patient identifiers, always labeling samples in the presence of the patient.
· Performs medical and legal chain of custody venous and capillary blood collections independently for patients of all ages within specified safety parameters, timelines and pace.
· Performs sample processing, aliquoting, and preparation for transport/testing.
· Utilizes supply items in a cost-effective manner, recognizing when to reorder, and assisting with unpacking and/or restocking items.
· Achieves comprehensive understanding of lab tests to answer patient questions in an easy to understand way.
· Follows appropriate reporting protocols including critical value reporting.
· Monitors test results, recognizing clerical and analytical errors as well as test results related to questionable sample integrity.
· Monitors pending logs and work queues and resolves pending tests and registration errors.
· Prepares and logs samples for proper storage and retention.
· As designated and qualified, performs general supervisor and technical supervisor functions overseeing workflows, testing personnel and processes in the absence of on-site manager.
· Prioritizes work in the best interest of the patient, sharing the work with team members.
· Assists with training new employees and students, being helpful and supportive in their teaching.
· Attends department huddles, staff meetings and other required training.
· Checks emails regularly for huddle minutes and important communications relevant to assignment.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect.
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Bachelor of Science degree or equivalent prerequisite with Medical Laboratory Science Program completion.
College or post-graduate hospital clinical experience or demonstrated clinical efficiency.
Must be MT or MLS certified or eligible. Certification through a national certifying body (ASCP or equivalent) upon hire, or within 6 months of employment/eligibility.
Must maintain active certification throughout employment.
Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English.
Microsoft Office – basic computer skills.
Critical thinking skills using independent judgment in making decisions.
Demonstrates knowledge of computer programs for patient identification, registration, order, and sample tracking.
Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of computer programs for reporting test results.
Demonstrates knowledge that patient and workplace safety is a priority by preventing errors, accidents and infections and reporting potential or actual concerns immediately.
Comprehensive knowledge of computer systems used on analyzers, Sunquest and EPIC.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Work may occasionally require travel. May drive a UPH vehicle, rental or own vehicle.
Requisition ID: 2021-92254
Street: 1026 A Ave NE
Name: 1010 UnityPoint Health CR St Lukes Hospital
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: Tuesday-Saturday day shift, holiday rotation
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org