UnityPoint Health Laboratory Assistant in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Description of Position:
Provide a “snapshot” or the principal purpose or focus of the position, consisting of no more than three to five sentences. This summary should provide enough information to differentiate the major function and activities of the position from those of other positions.
The laboratory assistant plays an important role in the lab. The laboratory assistant is the face of the lab interacting with patients and nursing personnel. The laboratory assistant supports preanalytic and post analytic laboratory workflows. Responsibilities include two or more of the following: 1) registration; 2) registration/billing work queues; 3) inpatient, outpatient or outreach phlebotomy; 4) sample transport/processing/aliqouting/accessioning; or 5) CLIA waived testing.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). o not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
Exceptional Care Delivery
· Greets everyone with a pleasant and professional manner, using patient experience best practice guidelines (AIDET, 5/10 Rule and No-Point, etc).
· Identifies patients and samples using two patient identifiers, always labeling samples in the presence of the patient.
· May perform venous and capillary blood collections independently for patients of all ages within specified safety parameters, timelines and pace.
· Assists with sample transport, receiving, processing, aliqouting, accessioning and delivery of specimens to testing areas.
· May perform CLIA moderately waived testing in accordance with manufacturer specifications using good laboratory practice.
· Demonstrates knowledge of computer programs for patient identification, registration, registration work queues, order, and sample tracking.
· Utilizes supply items in a cost effective manner, recognizing when to reorder, and assisting with unpacking and/or restocking items.
· Achieves basic understanding of lab tests to answer patient questions in an easy to understand way.
· Prioritizes work in the best interest of the patient, sharing the work with team members.
· Assists with training new employees and students, being helpful and supportive in their teaching.
· Demonstrates knowledge that patient and workplace safety is a priority by preventing errors, accidents and infections and reporting potential or actual concerns immediately.
· Attends department huddles, staff meetings and other required training.
· Checks emails regularly for huddle minutes and important communications relevant to assignment.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, JCAHO, DNV, OSHA, CAP and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
High School graduate or equivalent
One (1) year of clinical experience or demonstrated clinical efficiency.
Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
PBT (ASCP) certified or equivalent
MLA (ASCP) certified or equivalent
Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English.
Microsoft Office – basic computer skills.
Critical thinking skills using independent judgment in making decisions.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position. Work may occasionally require travel. May drive a UPH vehicle, rental or own vehicle.
Requisition ID: 2020-85561
Street: 1026 A Ave NE
Name: 1010 UnityPoint Health CR St Lukes Hospital
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): 0.95
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: 10 hour Days, every 4th weekend and holiday rotation.
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org