UnityPoint Health Dental Assistant in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Description of Position:
Provide a “snapshot” or the principal purpose or focus of the position, consisting of no more than three to five sentences. This summary should provide enough information to differentiate the major function and activities of the position from those of other positions.
Responsible for assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of patient oral health care. Responsible for assisting dentists, in coordination with other health care team members, according to Dental Health Center (DHC) policies and procedures. The patients served include infant, pediatric, adolescent and adult. The dental assistant will report directly to the DHC manager and will work closely with the manager and DHC director.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
Clinical Excellence/Patient Care
· Provides professional dental assistant leadership through compliance with established department routines, policies, and procedures.
o Coordinates and directs patient care activities by identifying those activities that require the judgment and skill of a dental assistant.
o Supports chairside services by ensuring proper and efficient steps are taken to complete predetermined procedures and to ensure positive patient care and best outcomes.
· Assumes responsibility for own professional growth and development.
Continually strives to enhance technical and clinical competencies in all job-related duties.- Specialty certifications encouraged. - Participates in appropriated professional organizations.
· Complies with established infection control and risk management policies and procedures.
· Provides educational opportunities to patient, families and other health care associates based on pediatric/adult teaching-learning concepts.
· Frequently uses preventive-focused dialogue with patients, families, and caregivers.
· Assists in the orientation of new associates, dental students and pediatric dental residents by acting as a resource to learner, collaborating with dentists and manager.
· Demonstrates flexibility and self-direction in meeting patient and department needs by responding as a team member. Able to see the whole clinic schedule.
· Participate in mandatory education and department staff meetings, per established guidelines.
· Participates in department and hospital-wide committees and performance improvement activities.
· Assists with proper maintenance of dental equipment and assurance of adequate dental supplies.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect.
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Be accountable for individual actions and team performance.
· Be responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
· Completion of accredited dental assistant program
· One or more Expanded Functions duties
· 2 years’ clinical dental assisting experience
· Pediatric dental assisting experience
· Possess a current Iowa Dental Assistant License
· Maintain BLS certification
· Maintain mandatory reporting certification
· Possess a valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons
· Nitrous Oxide Monitoring Certification
· Writes, reads, comprehends, and speaks fluent English
· Exhibits multicultural sensitivity
· Basic computer skills, including Microsoft Office
· Customer/patient focused
· Critical thinking skills using independent judgment in making decisions.
· Demonstrates proficiency in the manual skills and techniques required to perform basic/advanced dental assisting procedures.
· Demonstrates skill, organization and efficiency in performing required patient care activities
· Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Requisition ID: 2021-94554
Street: 855 A Ave NE
Name: 1010 UnityPoint Health CR St Lukes Hospital
Name: Free Clinics/Dental Health
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: M-F days
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org