UnityPoint Health Cardiology Sonographer-Diagnostic Cardiology in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
As a member of the interdisciplinary Diagnostic Cardiology team, contributes professional Cardiac Sonographer knowledge and skills in the provision and management of care to adult and pediatric patients undergoing echocardiographic exams and procedures. The Cardiac Sonographer will function both independently and in collaboration with the Diagnostic Cardiology nursing staff and under the direction of physicians.
Clinical Excellence/Patient Care
· Assesses the needs of patients and families undergoing echocardiographic procedures, providing appropriate teaching and making the necessary referrals to provide continuity of care.
· Assists the physician with the development of an individual plan of care using a collaborative approach with the patient/family and health care team.
· Promptly completes documentation to assure an accurate legal record of patient’s care.
· Delivers high quality care while demonstrating knowledge and clinical skills of the specialty required in the Diagnostic Cardiology Department in accordance with established policies, procedures and standards of care.
· Utilizes holistic approach (considering biopsychosocial, spiritual, educational, safety, and related criteria) appropriate to the age of the patients and families served in the assigned service area.
· Utilizes critical thinking in making judgments, and maintains responsibility and accountability for the knowledge of conditions of the patient.
· Demonstrates and maintains proficiency in the manual skills and techniques required in the safe performance of the following exams utilizing m-mode, real time, color flow mapping, PW / CW, ped off, and 3D imaging.
o Adult and pediatric transthoracic echocardiography
o Adult and pediatric transesophageal echocardiography
o Adult and pediatric stress echocardiography
· Demonstrates and maintains proficiency in the manual skills and techniques required to operate specialized equipment including, but not limited to the following:
o Ultrasound machines and transducers
o PACs and echo reporting systems
o Patient monitoring systems
· Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of radiation safety and practice including the use of radiation protection devices and exposure levels for both the associate and patient.
Development & Patient Education
· Continues professional development and involvement in professional activities that enhance Cardiac Sonographer practice by sharing knowledge through networking and research.
· 30 CMEs per 3 years to maintain certification plus any extra CMEs to maintain lab accreditation.
· Optional: Group member of Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonography – must attain 10 CMEs/ year
· Assess and chooses teaching strategies appropriate to the patient’s and their families’ age specific needs, culture, gender, readiness to learn and level of comprehension.
· Consults appropriate resources within the hospital to provide specialized education.
· Demonstrates knowledge that patient and workplace safety is a priority by preventing errors, accidents and infections and reporting potential or actual concerns immediately.
· Must meet requirements for standby call which includes a 20 minute response time from primary residence to hospital
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, JCAHO, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
A graduate of a diploma, associate, or baccalaureate academic program in health science (including, but not limited to, cardiovascular technology, ultrasound, radiologic technology): must meet eligibility requirements to become certified in Adult Echocardiography through the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS) or Cardiovascular Credentialing International (CCI.)
Prefer one (1) year of hospital or clinic experience with both adult and pediatric patient populations.
Current AE certification through the ARDMS or CCI. If not current with AE certification, it must be obtained within 6 months from date of hire.
Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
Must possess and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification or obtain certification within 3 months from hire date.
Current certification in AE and Pediatric Echocardiography (PE). If not current with PE certification, it must be obtained within 12 months from date of hire or 12 months from the completion of AE certification if not current.
Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English.
Microsoft Office – basic computer skills.
Critical thinking skills using independent judgment in making decisions.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Work may occasionally require travel to other UPH facilities. May drive a UPH vehicle, rental or own vehicle.
Requisition ID: 2020-82914
Street: 1026 A Ave NE
Name: 1010 UnityPoint Health CR St Lukes Hospital
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): 0.9
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: 36 hrs/wk; 4 nine hour days; overnight standby call 7 to 8 days / month including every 4th weekend.
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org