UnityPoint Health Cardiac Holding Assistant in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Description of Position:
As a member of the interdisciplinary team, the Cardiac Holding Assistant is responsible for a variety of tasks and services to assist in the provision of care and comfort for patients under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse (RN.) The Cardiac Holding Assistant will report and record observations and contribute to the efficient functionality of the department.
% of Time
Clinical Excellence/Patient Care
· Partners with the RN and other healthcare team members to achieve patient care outcomes and goals of care, as identified in the plan of care.
· Obtains records and/or accurately enters data into the Electronic Medical Record (EMR). Real time documentation is done in accordance with hospital and unit policies
· Vital signs
· Height and Weight
· Intake and output
· Other appropriate patient observations as assigned.
· Performs specified tasks as directed by the RN and other healthcare team members, following competency validation.
· Assists patients with activities of daily living
· Assists with the care of patient’s pre-procedure and post procedure under the direct supervision of a RN, following competency validation.
· Assists with the rooming of patients
· Performs admission procedures (applies ID band, reviews face sheet with patient, completes E-Registration)
· Perform blood glucose testing
· Perform specimen collection and specimen labeling (urinalysis)
· Set up simple oxygen therapy (nasal cannula)
· Perform bladder scans
· Assist with safe patient handling
· Assist with patient transport via wheelchair or stretcher
· Perform linen changes
· Delivers nourishments as needed
· Performs and transmits EKG’s as ordered
· Remove IV catheters
· Assists with trans-radial compression band deflations
· Performs site preparation applicable for the procedure
· May validate past medical history and medication list with the patient
· Assists with patient ambulation
· May assist in transporting medications NOT controlled substances from pharmacy delivery devices to medication storage areas on patient care unit, as well as transporting medications from patient care unit to pharmacy.
· Demonstrates an awareness of patient and personal safety
· Complies with established department routines, policies, and procedures
· May assist in Unit Secretary responsibilities per department expectations and following appropriate competency validation
· Demonstrates good verbal and written communication skills with patients, families, healthcare team members, and other customers.
· Performs other duties as deemed necessary to meet the hospital’s mission and departmental needs.
· Performs daily checks and documents on logs, including refrigerator temp logs, crash cart check
· Assists with monthly department outdate inspections
· Assists with stocking and rotating unit supplies
· Cleans patient rooms and prepares rooms for the next patient
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Preferred or Specialized
High school diploma or GED and/or appropriate certification as required by hospital policy or governmental regulation
Completion of Medical Assisting and or EKG Technician Program
1 year of hospital clinical experience
1 year of demonstrated clinical efficiency in critical care, telemetry, and/or cardiovascular care.
Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
Must possess and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification or obtain certification within 3 months from hire date.
Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English.
Microsoft Office—basic computer skills.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Requisition ID: 2020-75065
Street: 1026 A Ave NE
Name: 1010 UnityPoint Health CR St Lukes Hospital
Name: Cardiac Holding Area
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): .01
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: Monday through Friday; 6:00 am to 2:30 pm
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org