UnityPoint Health CMA/LPN/RN Ankeny Retail Express Clinic (opening May of 2021) in Ankeny, Iowa
UnityPoint Express Clinic
CMA/LPN/RN (Clinical Care Attendant)
8a-8p, 3 days a week. Weekend Rotation
Full Time Benefits
**Clinic does not open until May of 2021
The Clinical Care Attendant is responsible for assisting the Physician, Nurse Practitioner, and Physician Assistant (collectively “Provider”) with front office and back office duties in the outpatient management of patients on a rotating basis. This position is a vital part of the office team that cares for patients in the clinic setting working under the direction of a Provider and working closely with the Provider, other clinical staff, and direct patient care. Additionally, the Clinical Care Attendant is responsible for a variety of clerical and clinical functions within a clinic setting requiring knowledge and integration of available standards, resources, and data; discretion; good judgment; diplomacy; decision making; and a strong customer service attitude. Acting as the patient advocate, the Clinical Care Attendant has continuous contact with Providers, patients, patient families/ significant others, community agencies, and patient care staff and management.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
Clinical Excellence/Patient Care
· Perform and/or assist clinical procedures consistent with training and licensure under supervision of Provider in exam suite. Greet and welcome patients immediately upon arrival to the clinic. Escort back to exam suite. Complete patient registration and associated paperwork or assist in on-line registration as needed, based on patient need, ability and desire. Escort and check out upon completion of visit and assist patient with completion of patient satisfaction survey if needed at the time of check out.
· Obtain patients review of systems and history, measure vital signs, including but not limited to weight, blood pressure, pulse, temperature, and complete all necessary documentation in patient’s chart and consistent with clinical protocol.
· Offer patient convenience items (water, coffee, tea, warm blankets, etc.), to ensure patient is comfortable in exam suite and/or lobby.
· Follow symptom initiated protocols in place for clinic operation. Perform labs as ordered/instructed either by protocols or provider direction.
· If clinic offers Aidarex, offer this option to patients and perform administration of prescription as directed by provider.
· Review after visit summary and provide instructions to patient as instructed by Provider.
· Call all patients back 48-72 hours post clinic visit to perform mandatory follow up phone call.
· Consistent with UPC policy and as directed by Provider call patient with results reporting in a professional and courteous manner consistent with training and licensure.
· Keep exam rooms stocked with adequate medical supplies, maintain instruments, and sterilize as required.
· Take, relay, and process messages from patient, Provider, pharmacy consistent with training and licensure.
· Consistent with UPC policy maintain all logs and required checks (e.g., refrigerator temperatures, emergency medications, expired medications, oxygen, cold sterilization fluid change, etc.).
· Maintain UPC and department policies, procedures and objectives; performs functions other than described due to extenuating circumstances.
· May serve other departments as assigned.
· Be aware of what is happening in clinic/department and the organization by attending clinic/department meetings, reading emails and regularly checking information on the organization’s intranet site.
· Maintain regular and consistent attendance at work.
· Maintain compliance with CLIA, OSHA, Safety and Risk Management guidelines.
· Maintain compliance with Personnel policies and procedures.
· Monitor environmental conditions in order to secure protected health information.
· Behave in a manner consistent with all Corporate Compliance and HIPAA policies and procedures.
· Demonstrate initiative to improve quality and customer service by striving to exceed customer expectations.
· Perform all duties consistent with training and licensure.
· Perform other duties as requested by Clinic Manager to facilitate the smooth and effective operations of the office.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect.
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Graduate of an accredited program for Medical Assistants or completion of an accredited EMT course or,
Graduate of an accredited program for RN/LPN license with associate’s degree or,
Completed Nationally Accredited Paramedic Program at the Certificate or Associates Degree Level.
Two years’ experience in a Family Practice setting, Urgent Care, or related field preferred.
Current CMA certification for Certified Medical Assistant from AAMA, NCCT, AMT or NHA or EMT certification.
Current Paramedic Certification and/or License as required by the State of Iowa/Illinois or,
Current Iowa or Illinois RN/LPN license.
Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
BLS and Mandatory Reporter
· Knowledge of Urgent Care medical specialty.
· Knowledge of medical terminology.
· Knowledge of health system EMR.
· Requires clinical knowledge and analytical abilities necessary to plan and evaluate patient care.
· Ability to maintain effective and organized systems to ensure timely patient flow.
· Creative thinking; analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making abilities; self-direction, theoretical implementation, and evaluation.
· Strong interpersonal skills including exceptional customer service and phone etiquette.
· Ability to work as a team member.
· Ability to understand and apply guidelines, policies and procedures.
· Strong computer skills.
· Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to direct others and to exercise judgment in problem situations.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Requisition ID: 2021-87113
Street: 1055 SW Oralabor Rd
Name: 9200 UnityPoint Clinic Affiliate
Name: Retail Clinic- Ankeny
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: 8a-8p, 3 days a week. Weekend Rotation. (36 hours a week) **$2 shift diff on the weekends
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org