UnityPoint Health Referral Specialist - Part Time in Anamosa, Iowa
This will be a Part Time position that would work 20 hours per week.
Description of Position:
Provide a “snapshot” or the principal purpose or focus of the position, consisting of no more than three to five sentences. This summary should provide enough information to differentiate the major function and activities of the position from those of other positions.
Manage all facets of the patient referral process. The scope of the referral process begins with receipt from the provider through to the communication with the patient. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, obtaining pre-certification or prior-authorizations, scheduling the visit with specialist or outpatient services, completion of documentation with the electronic medical record (EMR) and communicating referral information to referring offices and to the patient.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
Coordination of Patient Appointments & Authorizations
· Coordinates appointments and relays authorization information to scheduling staff of specialist or outpatient service offices as requested.
· Completes appropriate forms or requisitions needed for referrals or testing, including appropriate CPT/ICD-10 coding.
· Provides appropriate and timely documentation in the patient’s EMR using standardized workflows and processes.
· Builds and maintains positive working relationships with all contacts
· Acts as a liaison between UnityPoint and all referral sources
Correspondence with Patients
· Notifies patient of appointment details via telephone, MyChart, and letter.
· Ensure patients are informed of scheduled tests/procedures.
· Reinforces instructions and explanations of tests/procedures to patients per protocol.
· Utilizes exemplary customer service skills with every patient interaction
Obtain Pre-Certifications and Prior Authorizations
· Obtains insurance pre-certifications and prior authorizations for office procedures, diagnostic testing, and imaging for patients.
· Coordinates pre-certs and authorization processes with scheduling staff so appointments can be made in timely manner.
· Obtains any and all pertinent clinic health information from provider, clinical staff and/or EMR to process authorizations, referrals, and pre-certifications.
· Verifies demographic information, including insurance, when scheduling and/or obtaining pre-certifications.
· Monitors outstanding authorization requests and initiates follow-up of outstanding authorizations in a timely manner.
· Maintains current knowledge of payer specific requirements of prior authorizations by attending virtual workshops, researching, reading newsletters
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA and OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of clinical and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of Clinic administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
High School diploma or equivalent.
Graduate of accredited medical assistant and/or nursing program.
· 2-3 years previous experience in medical field
· Basic knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy and physiology
Experience with insurance verification/pre-authorizations.
Basic knowledge of Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) and International Classification of Disease (ICD-10) coding
· Must possess and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification or obtain certification within three (3) months from date of hire.
· Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
· Strong telephone and organizational skills and ability to interact effectively with internal/external customers.
· Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English.
· Multicultural sensitivity.
· Microsoft Office – basic computer skills.
· Customer/patient focused.
· Critical thinking skills using independent judgment in making decisions.
· Ability to work as a team member.
· Ability to understand and apply guidelines, policies and procedures.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Requisition ID: 2019-61976
Street: 1791 Hwy 64 East
Name: 1050 UnityPoint Health Jones Regional Medical Center
Name: Anamosa Family Medicine
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): 0.5
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: 20 Hours Per Week
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org