UnityPoint Health Medical Technologist (MT) or Medical Lab Technician (MLT) - PRN in Anamosa, Iowa
As a leader in community health care, UnityPoint Health - Jones Regional Medical Center (JRMC) is the only hospital in the Jones County area and cares for more than 5,500 people each month. Our state-of-the-art facility specializes in 24-hour emergency care, lab and radiology, inpatient hospital visits and nursing care; outpatient surgeries and clinics; counseling; and rehabilitation. Jones Regional Medical Center's mission is to improve the health of the people and the communities we serve.
To learn more about Jones Regional Medical Center click this Link!
Description of Position:
As a member of the interdisciplinary team, the Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS or MT) contributes professional knowledge and skills in the provision and management of care to patients. The MLS/MT is a Bachelor of Science degree, credentialed individual who supports pre-analytic, analytic and post analytic laboratory workflows. Responsibilities may include the following: 1) partial registrations; 2) registration/billing work queues; 3) inpatient, outpatient or outreach phlebotomy; 4) sample processing/aliquoting/accessioning; 5) urine drug screen collections and breath alcohol; 6) CLIA waived, moderate and high complexity testing. The MLS/MT is responsible for strictly adhering to detail in the technical performance of laboratory procedures, solving practical and analytical problems, resolving conflict, and implementing constructive change.
% of Time
· Greets everyone with a pleasant and professional manner, using patient experience best practice guidelines (AIDET, 5/10 Rule and No-Point, etc.).
· Identifies patients and samples using two patient identifiers, always labeling samples in the presence of the patient.
· Collaborate with nursing services to receive and issue blood products.
· Performs venous and capillary blood collections independently for patients of all ages within specified safety parameters, timelines and pace.
· Performs sample processing, aliqouting, and sample preparation for transport.
· Oversees the collection of urine drug screens and breath alcohol, complying with DOT regulations and/or company protocol.
· Utilizes supply items in a cost effective manner, recognizing when to reorder, and assisting with unpacking and/or restocking items.
· Demonstrates knowledge of computer programs for patient identification, registration, order, sample tracking and reporting test results.
· Achieves basic understanding of lab tests to answer patient questions in an easy to understand way.
· Uses good laboratory practice to perform all levels of testing in accordance with procedures approved by Laboratory Director and within manufacturer specifications.
· Performs and documents routine instrument maintenance as assigned.
· Troubleshoots and resolves instrument and equipment issues.
· Assists with the review or writing of procedures as requested.
· Strong knowledge of computer systems used on analyzers, LIS and HIS.
· Monitors technical practices to meet necessary standards, recommendations and requirements of voluntary and government agencies (CAP, TJC, CLIA).
· Works closely with testing personnel with lab procedures/tests/training
Post Analytic workflows
· Follows appropriate reporting protocols including critical value reporting.
· Able to review reports for errors.
· Understands the Quality Management System.
· Prioritizes work in the best interest of the patient, sharing the work with team members.
· Assists with training new employees and students, being helpful and supportive in their teaching.
· Provides professional leadership, motivation and guidance to peers and other laboratory staff.
· Promotes the development, preparation, implementation and attainment of departmental goals, policies and projects.
· Demonstrates knowledge that patient and workplace safety is a priority by preventing errors, accidents and infections and reporting potential or actual concerns immediately.
· Attends department huddles, staff meetings and other required training.
· Checks emails regularly for important communications relevant to assignment.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, JCAHO, DNV, OSHA, CAP and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health’s values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
· Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
· Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
· Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
· Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
· Enthusiastically engage in our work.
· Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
· Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
· Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
· Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
· Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
· Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
· Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
· Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Bachelor of Science degree
Graduate of an MLS/MT program.
College or post graduate laboratory experience.
Hospital or Reference Laboratory experience.
Must be MT or MLS(ASCP) certified or eligible, certifying within 6 months of hire.
Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
Achieves and maintains appropriate training and certification for collection of DOT, DHS and/or contracted service drug screens, including breath alcohol within 6 months of hire.
· Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English.
· Technical Aptitude – ability to learn new systems quickly
· Medical Terminology
· Basic laboratory skills.
· Decision making skills
· Planning and Organizing skills
· Problem solving
· Knowledge of Quality Control standards
· Working knowledge of statistics
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position. Work may occasionally require travel. May drive a UPH vehicle, rental or own vehicle.
Information about Jones Regional Medical Center - Anamosa, IA
Jones Regional Medical Center has been named 5th fastest growing hospital in the US by Modern Healthcare
· All private rooms
· Three major trauma rooms with an additional four exam rooms
· State-of-the-art equipment and lighting
· Easy navigation for patients to be evaluated and treated in the ED
· Radiology/laboratory services located next to ED for easy testing access
· 5500+ volume Monthly
· 24/7 RT, Lab, ER and Radiology
· Daytime offerings - Therapy, Wound, Social Services, Counseling, Rehabilitation
· Great place to have a rural quality of life but have access to larger cities (30-minutes to Cedar Rapids and 45-minutes to Iowa City)
Choose Jones County
Jones County, located in the heart of Eastern Iowa along Highway 151, is central to major U.S. markets. Within five hours of Chicago, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Madison, and Omaha with easy access to the crossroads of America, Interstates 80 and 35.
Living in Jones County
· Easy highway access to major shopping/entertainment in Cedar Rapids
· Just 45 minutes from Iowa City
· Growing trail system for walking and biking
· Museums including the National Motorcycle Museum and the Anamosa State Penitentiary Museum
· State and local parks for camping and recreation
· Two new aqua parks
· Numerous golf courses
· Home of the Jones County Fair the 3rd largest county fair in the state of Iowa.
Requisition ID: 2021-88247
Street: 1795 Hwy 64 E
Name: 1050 UnityPoint Health Jones Regional Medical Center
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): 0.01
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: PRN - As Needed