Iowa State University Medical Technologist/Medical Technician in Ames, Iowa
Position Title:Medical Technologist/Medical Technician
Job Group:Professional & Scientific
Required Minimum Quals:Associate’s degree in Medical Lab Technology or equivalent. Certified as a medical lab technician or equivalent.
Preferred Qualifications:Experience in a lab or hospital as an MLT/MT
The primary duty of the medical laboratory technician/ medical technologist is to perform diagnostic laboratory tests on blood and other body fluids. Data generated from these tests will aid clinic veterinarians and students in diagnosis and monitoring of their patients, which have been brought to the Veterinary College for treatment.
Other clients include graduate students, researchers and veterinarians throughout the United States who have contracted our services. Initial setup of new instrumentation and training of the other staff members is the responsibility of the primary technologist assigned to each area of the laboratory.
Maintenance, quality control and troubleshooting of instrumentation are also the duties of this technologist. Veterinary students are taught clinical laboratory techniques and procedures by the technologist. Instruction may also be given to graduate students, veterinary residents and technicians.
The technologist assists in training student employees and supervises their daily duties. The technologist consults with veterinarians throughout the state concerning proper sampling and shipping techniques for samples sent to our laboratory
To be considered for a Medical Lab Technologist a bachelors degree or equivalent is required
To be considered for a Medical Laboratory Technician an associates degree or equivalent is required.
Performs clinical laboratory tests that provide information to physicians for diagnosis, prevention or treatment of diseases in patients. Performs specialized testing within an assigned area.
Example of Duties
- Perform Diagnostic Testing: Hospital lab testing on multi-species samples (clinical and research cases), perform automated hematology procedures, didactic evaluation of test results, analysis of biochemistry tests in a variety of specimen types, serology analysis, perform quality control procedures
- Training: assists in training vet students, vet techs, and vet tech students, new employees employed in the laboratory
- Perform maintenance and quality controls: maintain all laboratory instrumentation according to manufacturer on a daily and weekly basis to ensure quality results and to eliminate potential down time, perform basic troubleshooting procedures, maintain clean lab area, us proper precautions to avoid exposure to hazardous materials
• Individual contributor position with developing professional and/or technical skills working under immediate to general supervision
• Grasps professional-level knowledge and concepts of field while working in a progressive learning mode
• Works on problems and issues of somewhat limited scope
• Follows standard practices and procedures in analyzing situations or data for which answers are available or can be obtained
• Responds to inquiries and issues, escalating to manager or higher level workers as appropriate
• May lead projects of limited scope and complexity
• May provide guidance to students
Number of Months Employed Per Year:12 Month Work Period
Time Type:Full time
Pay Rate Type:Salary
To apply for this position, please click on “Apply” and complete the Employment Application. Please be prepared to enter or attach the following:
1) Resume/Curriculum Vitae
2) Letter of Application/Cover Letter
3) Contact Information for Three References
If you have questions regarding this application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 515-294-4800 or Toll Free: 1-877-477-7485.
Original Posting Date:December 31, 2020
Posting Close Date:January 29, 2021
Job Requisition Number:R3889
Iowa State University is classified as a Carnegie Foundation Doctoral/Research University-Extensive, a member of the Association of American Universities (AAU), and ranked by U.S. News and World Report as one of the top public universities in the nation. More than 30,000 students are enrolled and are served by over 6,200 faculty and staff.
Iowa State University is a global and culturally diverse university committed to providing an inclusive, equitable, and diverse environment for both learning and employment. We know that diversity in experience and perspective is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and building an inclusive academic community. At Iowa State, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituents. The university has an expectation that all employees will demonstrate a contribution to diversity and inclusion as embodied in Iowa State University’s Principles of Community.
All offers of employment, oral and written, are contingent upon the university’s verification of credentials and other information required by federal and state law, ISU policies/procedures, and may include the completion of a background check and/or a consumer credit check.
Iowa State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, marital status, disability, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against. Inquiries can be directed to the Office of Equal Opportunity, 3410 Beardshear Hall, 515 Morrill Road, 515 294-7612, email email@example.com.
If you have questions about the application process please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 515-294-4800 or Toll-Free at 1-877-477-7485. Iowa State University provides reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should email email@example.com or call (515) 294-4800 or Toll-Free: (877) 477-7485. TTY users are welcome to use the Iowa Relay Service number by dialing 7-1-1 or (800) 735-2942.
General ISU compensation information can be found here:https://www.hr.iastate.edu/careers/compensation