Iowa State University Diagnostic Associate I- Histology and Whole Slide Imaging in Ames, Iowa
Position Title:Diagnostic Associate I- Histology and Whole Slide Imaging
Job Group:Professional & Scientific
Required Minimum Qualifications:Bachelor’s degree
Special Required QualificationsMust have accurate color recognition
Preferred Qualifications:Completion of computer science, information technology, or related college-level coursework, or experience in a field that would demonstrate similar technical knowledge.Demonstrated experience in whole slide imaging or digital pathology.Experience with laboratory informatics, data entry, and database management, including experience using a laboratory information management system.Experience with microscopy, gross trimming, embedding, microtomy, immunohistochemistry, and special staining.Experience in a high volume laboratory or similar position with a 24-hour turnaround time.Training or experience that demonstrates an understanding of laboratory protocol, pathogens, and quality assurance.Certification by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists in histologic technique.Digital Pathology Certificate through the National Society for Histotechnology and the Digital Pathology Association.
The Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory (VDL) pathology section in the College of Veterinary Medicine at Iowa State University is seeking qualified candidates for a Diagnostic Associate I position. The ISU VDL is a full-service veterinary diagnostic laboratory engaged in missions of service, teaching and research on a daily basis. The laboratory processes 90,000+ submissions from veterinarians and researchers annually.
The primary responsibility of this position is to operate and maintain a whole slide digital imaging system for disease diagnosis and research purposes. Additional responsibilities include independently preparing animal tissues submitted to the VDL for histopathologic evaluation.
Example of Duties
• Operate and maintain the digital pathology/whole slide imaging system by advising on future instrumentation, upgrading software and hardware, providing ongoing evaluation, and performing daily monitoring of the digital imaging process.
• Analyze laboratory workflow and duty schedule for optimal daily scanning output.
• Monitor quality of images and maintain database of images and relevant data.
• Identify problems, develop solutions, utilize resources, implement fixes, and monitor results.
Diagnostic and Research Services
• Provide technical assistance to optimize and troubleshoot new and existing procedures to produce consistent and meaningful results to researchers, diagnosticians and clients.
• Assist in development, validation, implementation and fulfillment of new procedures for diagnostic and research purposes, particularly related to digital imaging, but including general assay development.
• Prepare formalin-fixed tissue samples into cassettes by trimming, processing, embedding, sectioning and staining submissions from research and diagnostic cases.
• Perform microtomy, special staining, and immunohistochemical staining.
• Complete documentation associated with daily casework using the ISU Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS).
Quality Assurance and Controls Management
• Assist the Lab Manager with quality control and improvement of existing assays and validation of new procedures.
• Review, update, develop and implement SOPs and other aspects of the quality system.
• Document and maintain the training program in the histology laboratory.
Number of Months Employed Per Year:12 Month Work Period
Time Type:Full time
To apply for this position, please click on “Apply” and complete the Employment Application. Please be prepared to enter or attach the following:1) Resume/Curriculum Vitae2) Letter of Application/Cover LetterIf you have questions regarding this application process, please email email@example.com or call 515-294-4800 or Toll Free: 1-877-477-7485.
Original Posting Date: May 27, 2021
Posting Close Date:June 19, 2021
Job Requisition Number:R5141
Iowa State University (http://www.iastate.edu/) is classified as a Carnegie Foundation Doctoral/Research University-Extensive, a member of the Association of American Universities ( AAU ), and ranked by U.S. News and World Report as one of the top public universities in the nation. More than 30,000 students are enrolled and are served by over 6,200 faculty and staff.
Iowa State University is a global and culturally diverse university committed to providing an inclusive, equitable, and diverse environment for both learning and employment. We know that diversity in experience and perspective is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and building an inclusive academic community. At Iowa State, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituents. The university has an expectation that all employees will demonstrate a contribution to diversity and inclusion as embodied in Iowa State University’s Principles of Community (http://www.diversity.iastate.edu/principles-of-community) .
All offers of employment, oral and written, are contingent upon the university’s verification of credentials and other information required by federal and state law, ISU policies/procedures, and may include the completion of a background check and/or a consumer credit check.
Iowa State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, marital status, disability, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against. Inquiries can be directed to the Office of Equal Opportunity, 3410 Beardshear Hall, 515 Morrill Road, 515 294-7612, email firstname.lastname@example.org .
If you have questions about the application process please email email@example.com or call 515-294-4800 or Toll-Free at 1-877-477-7485 . Iowa State University provides reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (515) 294-4800 or Toll-Free: (877) 477-7485 . TTY users are welcome to use the Iowa Relay Service number by dialing 7-1-1 or (800) 735-2942 .
General ISU compensation information can be found here:https://www.hr.iastate.edu/careers/compensation